Model Cars Magazine Forum

Road Race/Pro Touring Cuda - Project "HELL BOY”

Mopar426

Hi everyone I've been building and scrapping this build for going on 3 years. This is my first model build I've ever done. I would love to get ideas, help, or any other feedback to help me move this baby along. I have a bunch of ideas I want to incorporate into it from some of my favorite builds. So far I'm going to be making a efi itb dodge NASCAR engine. I made the wide 5 wheels from some wheels off of eBay. I think I definitely need some kind of flares to widen the stance (I think it looks too narrow under the stock fenders). I'll post some quick mock up pics below. 

Thanks for looking and look forward to see what you all think.

IMG_8077.PNG

IMG_8066.PNG

IMG_8064.PNG

Edited by Mopar426

Nice build concept and for your first model car build... impressive...

To get the fat tires to sit correctly with the wide-body flares you will need to open the wheel-wells up, a lot... look at the red cCuda rendering and you'll see just how agressive you'll need to be and to modify the suspension as well for the lower stance.

I did this to a Mustang I'm working on, the result will pay off.

Photo_2017-01-09_21-13-18.thumb.jpg.8ea8

Photo_2017-01-07_23-23-31.thumb.jpg.f0af

Photo_2017-01-16_23-15-20.thumb.jpg.5a5c

Thanks everyone. Definitely going to be red not going with 100% of the rendering but it gives you the idea. Got to figure out what chassis I'm going to use. Thinking NASCAR or c5r not sure.

Nice build concept and for your first model car build... impressive...

To get the fat tires to sit correctly with the wide-body flares you will need to open the wheel-wells up, a lot... look at the red cCuda rendering and you'll see just how agressive you'll need to be and to modify the suspension as well for the lower stance.

I did this to a Mustang I'm working on, the result will pay off.

Actually Resto I saw your build the other day and that's why I made an account to post my build. I really like what your doing with the mustang. How did you get your fenders flared so much and all the same?  

Actually Resto I saw your build the other day and that's why I made an account to post my build. I really like what your doing with the mustang. How did you get your fenders flared so much and all the same?  

Cool, nice to know you were inspired to join the group. 

Here's some pics of the basic how to flare. I'm sure others have different methods, but this has worked for my builds since the 70's

After you have opened the wheel wells use plastic strips glued in the rim like this. These will become the support for the "bondo" putty and can be sanded filed to create the form.

Photo_2017-01-15_18-06-46.thumb.jpg.c058

Then you need liberal amount of putty, I like the Squadron White for first heavy build coats.

Photo_2017-01-15_18-44-57.thumb.jpg.a69d

Then with a popsickle stick or tool or even your fingers, spread it around. Don't need to be perfect or exactly even, you will want some material putty to work with to form with filing sanding.

Photo_2017-01-15_18-48-13.thumb.jpg.1718

After this initial layer and forming you will need to apply another thinner coat of putty tofill in the shapes more than likely. 

Hope this helps

Thanks everyone. Definitely going to be red not going with 100% of the rendering but it gives you the idea. Got to figure out what chassis I'm going to use. Thinking NASCAR or c5r not sure.

I've seen Mopar models of this style built on a stretched Viper chassis.  Viper kits and parts are cheap and plentiful on ebay.

Edited by Dodge Driver

I like where your going with this build, thinking outside the box is my kind of modeling.

It definately is possible to achieve what your looking for mate.love those wheels..

I sliced the flares off a WRC kit, and shaped them to fit.

DSCN0838_zpsn9qhgdcw.jpg

DSCN0841_zpsvitlzubm.jpg

DSCN0903_zpsuduallrj.jpg

Keep at it, it will be awesome when you get it sorted.

Edited by DeeCee

Looking great so far! Couple of questions, first where did you find the rendering and what's the source of the hood you're using?

The rendering is by Andreas Wennevold. Check him out he's got some amazing stuff. The hood is from Lex's Scale Modeling. I'm happy with the hood looks really nice and fits pretty well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Need some feed back on the flares. Should I get more aggressive with them? Also wondering what you think so far. Gladly would like some creative criticism or thoughts on body mods that should/could be done.

thanks again 

Gage

IMG_8242.PNG

Edited by Mopar426

Hello Gage, first off welcome to the forum!!!!!!!! One thing I notice on how your doing this and I've come across the issue as I was learning to do this type of build. One thing you may want to do in the future is mock up, or build your chassis as your going along. When you do body work like you've done already and start building the chassis you may find they don't match up. That will tend to a lot of wheel house axle narrowing etc. and can be a big can of worms... I like to build the chassis first so I know how far I can go with wheel wells and suspension so that I don't get frustrated later and shelve the kit......

I only say all of this as I look through the windshield and see how far the rear tires are sticking in, you may need/want to move the tires outward more and with body work done may be bothersome!!

Overall, love what you're doing and how your going about it, love the look and attitude this is taking!!!!!!! Will be watching!!!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

Thanks drkerry I understand what you mean. They are set that way just for the pics (don't sit inside the flare the way they need to by themselves) I still have more I need to "shave" on the inside for more space in the rear. But what I was kinda wondering " might take some time and patience but moving the flares up higher and grafting them back in. I personally think after leaving it for a week, seeing some project cars I like and looking at it again might look a bit more aggressive? Any thoughts on this?

Edited by Mopar426

If it was me personally, and those that know me I like my stuff low as heck..... what you have started is looking good. As long as you can get the tires to tuck in behind them. As in grinding the backside with a Dremel and drum sander you may be able to get it to sit right. More the reason why I say build the chassis first with the ride height you want and then match the body to sit where you want it.... like I say I do that with my race cars and while I know I don't always flare the fenders but it does get the body down where I want it.... I use NASCAR chassis' even under street cars to slam them to the ground and have left the wheel wells stock.... 

like I said though looking at the stance and where you have the car "mocked" up at now all you may have to do is grind away at the backside of the flares being careful to not grind through them, and you could pull this off!!!!!!