Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kit bashed 85 Z/28

Plastic_Passion

This is the monogram motorworks 85 Z/28. Anyone who knows this kit, knows the kit came with a 305ci Cross fire injection engine. The motor is a two piece design. The lower half was molded to the chasis. The upper half was pushed into the lower, and the intake pushed into the upper. The driveshaft, panhard rod(torque arm), and rear axle were all one piece as well. I cut the motor out of the chasis and the driveshaft and torque arm off the axle. I replaced the 305 with a 350 from another camaro. Took the valve covers out of my parts box. And bought a tuned port injection on ebay. The driveshaft is out of the parts box as well as the torque arm which is more of a tubular performance look than the standard arm. The wheels are pegasus 19" iroks and I put the disc brakes on it again from the parts box. Wish I still had the mirrors. Paint is actual chevy color. Cut down and painted springs up front. Hope you like it!

20170118_220643.jpg

20170118_213308.jpg

20170118_213751.jpg

20170118_212625.jpg

20170118_212558.jpg

Now those make it look so much better.....Excellent work....I am actually about to start one of these to replicate my old '89 RS.....You've done amazing work....This is my favorite generation of Camaro.....

Thank you! I wish I had painted the centers of the rims like the actual irocs were but don't hate it this way. This is my favorite generation of f body as well. I had an 84 berlinetta, an 85 firebird, and an 87 formula as 1:1 cars. I have a 92 formula model I'll be building pretty soon. I'm going to pick up a firebird on ebay and see if I can replicate my 87. Did your rs have the tuned port in it?

Thank you! I wish I had painted the centers of the rims like the actual irocs were but don't hate it this way. This is my favorite generation of f body as well. I had an 84 berlinetta, an 85 firebird, and an 87 formula as 1:1 cars. I have a 92 formula model I'll be building pretty soon. I'm going to pick up a firebird on ebay and see if I can replicate my 87. Did your rs have the tuned port in it?

I've actually seen Camaros with those rims without the centers painted black.....I think you're ok with that.....And, no....Mine had the old 305 TBI motor.....It was ok...Made a good sound, but didn't go anywhere....:D But it was just such a "cool" car.....Loved it....

You're gonna love the way the Formula builds up.....Built one years ago...

I've actually seen Camaros with those rims without the centers painted black.....I think you're ok with that.....And, no....Mine had the old 305 TBI motor.....It was ok...Made a good sound, but didn't go anywhere....:D But it was just such a "cool" car.....Loved it....

You're gonna love the way the Formula builds up.....Built one years ago...

nice! Well at least your rs didn't have the 3.1 they put in them. My mother has two 84's one is a regular camaro with the three holes in the nose and the other is a z28. The base model car has t tops and had a 5 speed with a 305 and the z have the 700r4 with a 350. It needs quite a bit of work and I keep trying to buy it from her but to no avail so far. Love my ram but miss my f body.

• 4 weeks later...