Model Cars Magazine Forum

Labor of love

I have mixed memories of my father's 74 Cortina 2000E, very similar to this car but white with a tan vinyl roof and interior. Mixed because I loved that car but I also wrecked it :wacko:.

Here's a recent purchase, a very nice Corgi:

60f42e9f-02fd-492b-b727-ca0488ae309b_zps

Edited by peekay

The result of the job is pretty great, but for real, I don't think it's the same car anymore. 

From the original car, the shell has what, the central tunnel, some of the floors, and one rear chassis leg? The guy practically rebuilt the car from scratch, and while at it, had a lot of fun. 

Loved the photo shoots with the girls he was able to use the car for, even before being done. 

The result of the job is pretty great, but for real, I don't think it's the same car anymore. 

From the original car, the shell has what, the central tunnel, some of the floors, and one rear chassis leg?

LOL!

Try to find a better one in the UK.

LOL!

Try to find a better one in the UK.

Yeah, I really don't doubt it's the very best on the road. He just had to remake the car for that. Even the VIN plate on the right inner fender was redone. 

The fun parts was Mr.Bond came and started redoing Pete's bodywork. 

Other guys commenting on youtube also said what I said. Not the same car anymore. There are parts of the original car, but most of the body shell was redone by Pete and by Mr. Bond (Mike that I think looks like a younger Sean Connery).

British climate must be atrocious to cars. Around here a car in the condition the Cortina was, would be a parts car, if so. 

I mean, my '74 Galaxie has a few rust patches done, but all body parts are still the ones the car came from the factory with. And the car lived all his life near the ocean. 

That's why I got impressed with the work done. 

if someday someone finds one mint original, that has spent it's life in a sealed garage away from the elements, what would such a car bring in cash? 

Over here in Europe, especially the Northern part, is not  a good climate for cars. Cold, humid , it doesn't help protecting the cars from the elements.
If you leave a car for 20-30 years outside in Texas to sit, it can be salvaged. If a car sits 10-15 years outside over here, it is basically not salvable no more.

Unless you want to redo all the bodywork. I had mij R5Gtturbo outside for 2-3 years and I could notice the car was going downhill. So I got it in storage in 2006 and it's ever been in storage since....

Yeah, I really don't doubt it's the very best on the road. He just had to remake the car for that. Even the VIN plate on the right inner fender was redone. 

The fun parts was Mr.Bond came and started redoing Pete's bodywork. 

Other guys commenting on youtube also said what I said. Not the same car anymore. There are parts of the original car, but most of the body shell was redone by Pete and by Mr. Bond (Mike that I think looks like a younger Sean Connery).

British climate must be atrocious to cars. Around here a car in the condition the Cortina was, would be a parts car, if so. 

I mean, my '74 Galaxie has a few rust patches done, but all body parts are still the ones the car came from the factory with. And the car lived all his life near the ocean. 

That's why I got impressed with the work done. 

if someday someone finds one mint original, that has spent it's life in a sealed garage away from the elements, what would such a car bring in cash? 

You got me completely wrong.

What I mean is try to find a better one to start with. Any old car here is "not the same" anymore, because more than half of it has rotted away a long time ago.
Add to this that there are very few of these Cortinas left, hence you just have to do what he did if you want one. There is no alternative, otherwise people would
happily jump on them, trust me.

Asking what a mint survivor would cost is futile, simply because there is no such thing.
England currently experiences a wave of re-imports of old chod from Malta, South Africa, Cyprus and Oceania, simply because demand by far outstrips
supply just because the survival rate of old cars here is so low.

My '71 Rover required no welding simply on the grounds, that it was dry stored for almost 40 years. Of the hundreds of Rover P6es I know here via the club,
there is only one single other one that is also completely unwelded, because it spent most of its life in Spain. So mine is the only one known to the club,
that survived in England completely unscathed. And it's wafer thin in some areas regardless, so it will require welding in the near future.

This is England, not Brazil. If you want to get a suntan, you have to travel abroad. Sean Connery is a sterling example, immediately after he ran into some loot,
he emigrated from Scotland to the Bahamas, from where he conveniently asserts his solidarity with his home country ever since.

Cars from the coast usually are a bit better, since the climate there is a tad milder. But in a small country like the UK, cars rarely spend all their life in one location.
Cars are sold up and down the country and the areas that are kinder to cars have been raided a long time ago.

I know, this is hard to imagine for someone who lives in a country where the sun shines occasionally.

Edited by Junkman

You got me completely wrong.

What I mean is try to find a better one to start with. Any old car here is "not the same" anymore, because more than half of it has rotted away a long time ago.
Add to this that there are very few of these Cortinas left, hence you just have to do what he did if you want one. There is no alternative, otherwise people would
happily jump on them, trust me.

Asking what a mint survivor would cost is futile, simply because there is no such thing.
England currently experiences a wave of re-imports of old chod from Malta, South Africa, Cyprus and Oceania, simply because demand by far outstrips
supply just because the survival rate of old cars here is so low.

My '71 Rover required no welding simply on the grounds, that it was dry stored for almost 40 years. Of the hundreds of Rover P6es I know here via the club,
there is only one single other one that is also completely unwelded, because it spent most of its life in Spain. So mine is the only one known to the club,
that survived in England completely unscathed. And it's wafer thin in some areas regardless, so it will require welding in the near future.

This is England, not Brazil. If you want to get a suntan, you have to travel abroad. Sean Connery is a sterling example, immediately after he ran into some loot,
he emigrated from Scotland to the Bahamas, from where he conveniently asserts his solidarity with his home country ever since.

Cars from the coast usually are a bit better, since the climate there is a tad milder. But in a small country like the UK, cars rarely spend all their life in one location.
Cars are sold up and down the country and the areas that are kinder to cars have been raided a long time ago.

I know, this is hard to imagine for someone who lives in a country where the sun shines occasionally.

Got it!!

That's why Pete got so happy when he found that yellow/orange two door Cortina he is working on. The rear wheel arches are gone, and even tough he was happy about the condition. 

Here we can find cars from the '70s with the factory paint. Just have to look a bit, but not impossible. When I bought my '74 Galaxie she had the factory paint, acrylic enamel still on. The bottom of two doors was rusted from the drain holes being clogged, and one of the rear quarters had the same problem. Fixed that with patch panels taken from a parts car, and after a respray she was ready for daily duty once more.

My '82 Galaxie is still 100% factory stock, including all of the paint. The car is not used a lot, she only has 78.000 kms from new, but from what you said it would be impossible to find one in similar condition if sold new in the U.K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd_aSUM-kNM&t=317s