Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cadillac Painting

pharoah

Thanks guys!  I read an article a few years back about one of the artists who worked for GM in the 50's and 60's. remember ,they didn't use photos of the actual cars back then,just paintings. He was talking about the art director at one of his earliest studios. He said that the art  director swore that chrome only reflected in black and white! Excuse me?

He said that the art  director swore that chrome only reflected in black and white! Excuse me?

That's pretty funny...and reminds me of a somewhat similar story.

A fella I knew who did Porsche restorations (and painted them in lacquer outdoors...which you can get away with if you're real careful and real lucky) shot a 356A cabrio in a turquoise metallic, covered by several coats of clear.

The gloss was exceptional after it was color-sanded and polished, but the metallic had some blotches in it, UNDER the clear, due to poor spray technique.

I overheard the guy explaining to the client why it looked a little funky in places, and his reason...and I'm not making this up...was that he shot the clear on an overcast day, and the blotches were reflections of clouds trapped in the clear.

The sad part is that I think they BOTH believed it.   B)

I overheard the guy explaining to the client why it looked a little funky in places, and his reason...and I'm not making this up...was that he shot the clear on an overcast day, and the blotches were reflections of clouds trapped in the clear.

I seriously almost spit my drink out reading that.

Great painting. As others have pointed out the chrome looks perfect. More importantly you got the body and grill all done in the proper proportion to each other and that's hard to do.

That's pretty funny...and reminds me of a somewhat similar story.

A fella I knew who did Porsche restorations (and painted them in lacquer outdoors...which you can get away with if you're real careful and real lucky) shot a 356A cabrio in a turquoise metallic, covered by several coats of clear.

The gloss was exceptional after it was color-sanded and polished, but the metallic had some blotches in it, UNDER the clear, due to poor spray technique.

That is when two fools meet.

I like what you did here.I personally think reflection paintings are facinating.Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tom.  I have so,e others that I will post at a later date. One is a red ]60 Corvette similar to this. You can see the photographer reflected in the chrome.

• 1 month later...

You do great work, it's a pleasure to look at these. Just one critique on some of your paintings... I think it dilutes the quality of your work to show the photographer in the reflection of your vehicle. You're skilled enough to go "off script" and exclude him. Otherwise, in today's digital age, it's too easy for skeptics to think it's a filtered Photoshop pic. Even if they don't think that, the scope of your artistic contribution feels diminished if it looks painted from a photo. Though there's nothing at all wrong with that, no point in calling attention to it unless there's a reason you want us to see it. Looking forward to more.

Mike, Thanks for the comments. I could easily leave out things like that,but that's my style. Photorealism. I think of myself as more of an illustrator than an artist. But I like the high level of detail,rather than impression of an image. The way I see this is that when you get that close to something shiny,you're going to see something.