Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any 4Bt or 6BT engines out there?

Looking for some non electric Diesels for a couple of projects in the planning stage.  I know the Cummins 4BT and 6BT are some of the more common smaller ones. Or any others???

TIA!!!

Edit... I believe Trailer Trash has the 6BT, as it's also known as a 5.9 12 valve engine.... Depending on the year he modeled it after... 

Edited by mdlbldrmatt135
info update

Hi Matt, not sure if by "looking for" you mean available in plastic / resin, or you mean ideas for 3D printing. If the second...

A Cummins L10 would probably be well received. It was a popular medium duty diesel truck engine in the 80s and 90s and often used in a fire engines.

The Navistar DT466 and 530 series is another I know many have mentioned wanting.

I know both have been on the to do list by some resin casters, but it has been years and I don't believe either have actually made it past the "to do" point.

Detroit diesels are always a possibility.

Someone did a Detroit 6-71 but I don't think it was available long, it has been years since I saw it offered. The 6-71 (and related 2-71, 3-71, 4-71) was in use for 50+ years, extremely popular in medium and heavy duty trucks as well as marine and industrial use. 

The Detroit 6v71 / 6v92 can be made from an 8v71 / 8v92 but I would guess it would still do well as many would prefer to buy a ready to go engine kit vs converting one.

I don't believe anyone has ever done a Detroit 6v53. It is another medium duty truck engine, that also saw a lot of use by the US military in light armored vehicles. There are some people out there now putting these engines into pickup trucks as it is about the biggest diesel that you can squeeze under a 1 ton hood. 

The Detroit 8.2 liter "fuel pincher" was by most accounts a terrible, terrible engine, but it was widely used in medium duty trucks, the Ford C and Louisville in particular.

A Caterpillar 3208 would be another medium duty to consider. Either a full engine or parts to do a conversion of the Caterpillar 1160 in the Ford Louisville kit (minor differences, mostly fuel rail and valve covers).

Some more obscure possibilities are some of the English diesels that found use in US trucks in the 1960s. The Perkins 6.354 which was used in several Dodge medium duty trucks including the L700. Ford of England had the Dagenham and Dorsett diesels which Ford used in the Ford C and F series trucks prior to 1970. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure Gary Wallace has a 6-71 & the L10.  He might even have a M11.

If a Caterpillar 3208 conversion is being considered, you might want to make the parts to make it a 3208T as well.  Just a thought.

Rusty, your Ford diesel isn't the same as the Ford Diesels found in the later model (1987) Ford L/LN8000 series trucks, are they?