Model Cars Magazine Forum

'84 Oldsmobile Cutlass LSX442(Updated 1-24-'16)

echoxrayniner

I wanted to do a regular 442 from '85 with the MCG PE set, but then I stumbled upon Clearly Scale's Olds resin parts so I went with the LSX-454 inspired engine block and totally changed my idea to sort of a sleeper '84 Cutlass. Figured an all black(perhaps without any chrome detailing, not certain yet) with also an all black interior along with the '84 grille that hides a gargantuan GM block under the hood. Kind of regret not buying the flat hood now, but oh well!

Added some floor mats, couldn't get a decent little bag of interior flocking material around here unless I wanna pay 10 bucks plus for a 4 week wait so I stuck with regular old matte black paint. Speaking of which, handpainting the thing cause I'm too lazy/poor to afford a reasonable airbrush and I personally find the painting process super relaxing, even if it comes at the cost of it looking less great. Some day!

84oldsinprogress-5.jpg

84oldsinprogress-3.jpg

84oldsinprogress-4.jpg

84oldsinprogress-2.jpg

(Edit: should probably say, first time working with resin parts!)

Edited by echoxrayniner

I'd go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and check their scrapbooking aisles for embossing powder. It's a realistic alternative to flocking. A little jar of it goes a long way and will only cost you about $4. Just put some white glue down and sprinkle it on there. 

May I ask how you made the floor mats? 

I'd go to Hobby Lobby or Michael's and check their scrapbooking aisles for embossing powder. It's a realistic alternative to flocking. A little jar of it goes a long way and will only cost you about $4. Just put some white glue down and sprinkle it on there. 

May I ask how you made the floor mats? 

Scored them from eBay for $3,50(shipping not included) for a set of two mats, made by Plastic Dreams. They got nearly any US car brand coming to think of it.

And that ain't a half bad plan, I'm over in the Netherlands so usually shipping's the thing that wraps the noose around most of what I want(for instance, 12 bucks shipping on that 3,50 item, yay!), but there might be some local hobby shops that carry that, so thanks!

I should really get some spray cans, yeah... Coming to think of it, I read some folks here use proper auto spray paint, one guy in particular said he had good results with the cans that are meant to spray over repaired patches and such, or should I just stick with Humbrol/Testors enamel?

Also, update! I'm awaiting a better hood from Clearly Scale that can take the bigger engine cause right now it sits awkwardly over the engine, and still thinking of adding the air dam to the front cause right now it sits... a bit open.

84oldsinprog1-1.jpg

84oldsinprog1-2.jpg

84oldsinprog1-3.jpg