Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hey Hey ,,,,,Were The Monkees

gtx6970

A quickie  build so to speak. Painted it a few months ago when it was still warm out. Just simple Testors bright red . Interior is Tamiya deck tan ( Trust me its tan,,,,,,even though it looks grey in these pictures ) 

Box stock except the  rear tires are from my parts box as I didn't care for the same little tires on all 4 corners and  some embossing powder for carpet. I left the engine itself out as you cant see it once the car is complete anyway ...so consider it a curbside build

This is the ERTL blue printer issue that was molded in red from many years ago. And has been hiding in my stash for far to many years .

Its one of my favorites as I used to watch the show religiously when I was a youngster .

( Just noticed I forgot to do the bare metal foil to the window frame. will have tend to that asap )

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

DSC00863.JPG

DSC00862.JPG

Nice! I never knew the Blueprinter issue was molded in red--and I own two or three or four of them! :blink:

The original first issue was molded in red, too. I still have mine, though the windshield frame is pretty much collapsed. Someday I might "restore" it, one way or another.

Good call on the bigger tires on the rear. The original kit was one of the very first MPC kits to feature the big-n-bigger hollow vinyl tires, along with the Mako Shark and the Ford J car.

A quickie  build so to speak. Painted it a few months ago when it was still warm out. Just simple Testors bright red . Interior is Tamiya deck tan ( Trust me its tan,,,,,,even though it looks grey in these pictures ) 

Box stock except the  rear tires are from my parts box as I didn't care for the same little tires on all 4 corners and  some embossing powder for carpet. I left the engine itself out as you cant see it once the car is complete anyway ...so consider it a curbside build

This is the ERTL blue printer issue that was molded in red from many years ago. And has been hiding in my stash for far to many years .

Its one of my favorites as I used to watch the show religiously when I was a youngster .

( Just noticed I forgot to do the bare metal foil to the window frame. will have tend to that asap )

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

DSC00863.JPG

DSC00862.JPG

wow, Bill....I'm a ' Day Dream Believer' now....lol...lol...:lol:...nice build, the Ace......:P

cool.

then my work here is done

Photographed it today "Before." Everything's there except the wheels, tires, and differential, and engine. Went diving into the Snakepit and looked everywhere I thought any of that stuff might have been. Turned up the engine but no joy on the rest. I do have a new one for an organ donor, so I'm gonna just build up a new complete frame (replacing the tires with something better, as you did) until they turn up, if ever. Will probably make the "new" top too--it'll be fun to display it along with the old one with 7 or 9 coats of hand-brushed Testor White. Hey, anyone can build a new kit, but the old ones are only original once, right?

I take it you didn't find the pictures I asked you about? Oh well.

Edited by Snake45

Snake, If u need an engine out of this let me know. I didnt use mine , I just put a piece of flat stryene under the chrome blower doodad stuff  to fill the hole ,,,and painted it flat black ( cant see it once assembled anyway. )

I also have one or two of the kit tires left if u need them

Snake, If u need an engine out of this let me know. I didnt use mine , I just put a piece of flat stryene under the chrome blower doodad stuff  to fill the hole ,,,and painted it flat black ( cant see it once assembled anyway. )

I also have one or two of the kit tires left if u need them

I found the original engine last night. Not that the thing really needs it, you know. I just drove on with a new chassis. Got it painted today, got the flash and stubs trimmed off a set of new wheels, and found four suitable tires in the pile. So can have the thing back on wheels very very shortly.

You have also inspired me to get mine out as well!!  -thanks for the motivation!, I needed it after trashing a Tamiya Ferrari F40 kit in its final stages. I needed something easy and fun........this will do it!

cool

its a very simple kit. That looks great in the case. Mine stayed in a box for to long ....Im glad i can finally call it done

cool

its a very simple kit. That looks great in the case. Mine stayed in a box for to long ....Im glad i can finally call it done

I sold a super detailed one I built 15 years or so ago for quite a bit of money -I even put working speakers in it and played Monkees music from it at a model contest.

Well, my original 1966 build is now sitting on wheels again for the first time in at least three decades, possibly four. Took some "Before" pics before the real cleanup and restoration begin; hope to start a Workbench thread in the next few days. The trick with a true "survivor resto" job like this is to not go TOO far and end up with a complete rebuild. I keep having to tell myself, "If I wanted it to look NEW, I could just build a new one." They're only original once!

Well, my original 1966 build is now sitting on wheels again for the first time in at least three decades, possibly four. Took some "Before" pics before the real cleanup and restoration begin; hope to start a Workbench thread in the next few days. The trick with a true "survivor resto" job like this is to not go TOO far and end up with a complete rebuild. I keep having to tell myself, "If I wanted it to look NEW, I could just build a new one." They're only original once!

cant wait to see it!!!