Model Cars Magazine Forum

Original 1940 Willys pickup street rod t184

Found an original Willys 1940 pickup truck, street rod version. Was seeing lots of remakes online, but the only one I saw with the original box was listed for $4000 on terapeak it looked like.. Looks to me like it's all original parts for the truck, did notice all of the wheel parts were not there. Was kind of just wondering what I had on my hands here. tried to include more pictures but it wasn't being kind to me. Parts in the bag, original manual and decals still there

IMG_1858.PNG

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1870.PNG

IMG_1872.PNG

It's a cool kit, not worth $4000 in any condition though. Maybe $40-60 for a decent complete, unbuilt kit. It was first released in the early '60's as a double kit and it included a custom '32 Ford sedan. The Street Rod series version you have is from the '70's. Cool find!

Edited by Aaron_F

That's not the first issue with the pickup parts; there were three prior to it.  The currently available issue (not the Three Stooges one) has everything that's in the kit pictured, plus the coupe body and interior and better tires.

$4000? Bwahahahahahahahaha

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Try this for $2100 

1940-Willys-Americar-MAKE-A-GASSER

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Willys-Americar-MAKE-A-GASSER-/112272859525?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a23fbe185:g:-b8AAOSw241YfZ4x&item=112272859525

Your issue is IIRC the small box one from 76. 

Mean Machine was a dual kit in Street Rods series from 73-74

This issue is recent and dirt cheap. Both bodies and the best box art for the kit ever. Easily available on eBay < $20

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by keyser
2100 for real Americar

Was kind of just wondering what I had on my hands here. 

'bout $15 or so if it catches someone's eye on eBay. 

I think someone forgto to add the decimal to the price in the listing you found, and even then, that's wishful thinking. This kit is nothing special, so build it an enjoy it. That's how you'd get the most value out of this kit IMHO.

It's a cool kit, not worth $4000 in any condition though. Maybe $40-60 for a decent complete, unbuilt kit. It was first released in the early '60's as a double kit and it included a custom '32 Ford sedan. The Street Rod series version you have is from the '70's. Cool find!

The double Willys kit with the '32 Ford sedan, did not have the parts in it to build the pickup truck version. That came in a later release.

Scott

No.

No.

de3c_9b12_zpsm1nw17p1.jpg

No what? Are you saying no to the pickup truck option in the above kit? As I noted in my last posting here, the Willys boxed with the '32 Ford did not have the option of building the Willys into a pickup truck. The same old AMT Willys in that box. Just with none of the later pickup truck parts.

Scott

Let me guess, that was his Buy It Now Price. You can ask what ever you want for something, but is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. With the condition of the box aside and the missing tires ? what is something like this really worth ? If your going to build it why not spend $20 to $30 and get a brand new reissue ? If your a collector because of the condition of the box and missing parts it couldn't be worth much more than that either.