Model Cars Magazine Forum

Design Exercise

The newer version with the slight chop looks better. In my opinion the original chop ruined the proportions.  

It's going to take some playing. I think the original was too much but to me no chop looks like a Dr's car. Not sure why but that's what I think of

Maybe some side mount spares to take up some of that long hood. Plenty of room behind the front wheels and before the doors now

Although I do think some chop helps with the long and lean look

32 ford lengthened v2 Chop.jpg

I think this looks better if thats the look your going for ...but if your going for the power look it needs some power wheels like some deep dish slotted mags... IMO

Edited by D. Battista

I think this looks better if thats the look your going for ...but if your going for the power look it needs some power wheels like some deep dish slotted mags... IMO

Different power. Power today could be a short hood and a blown big block pushing 600 horsepower. Power in the 1930's usually meant a long hood with a straight 8 or V12 or V16 under it

Or side pipes as in the SJ or Auburn. But I don't like side pipes except on ACD's and Early Mercedes 

I think the stance also needs to change. The nose down look that works so well on 32 Ford hot rods looks odd when the nose lengthens

And what about power? The long hood needs to cover something longer. Two flatheads coupled in tandem to make a V16? Something modern and exotic? A war surplus Alison engine?

Edited by jaxenro

I thought the OP's modifications might work just fine, especially as a model.  Made me think it could be a Lincoln or upscale version based on much of the same mechanicals.

If there were a "Like" button I'd have used it a few times in this thread.  And I'd probably still made the above comment...B)

Edited by Scale-Master

Different power. Power today could be a short hood and a blown big block pushing 600 horsepower. Power in the 1930's usually meant a long hood with a straight 8 or V12 or V16 under it

Or side pipes as in the SJ or Auburn. But I don't like side pipes except on ACD's and Early Mercedes 

I think the stance also needs to change. The nose down look that works so well on 32 Ford hot rods looks odd when the nose lengthens

And what about power? The long hood needs to cover something longer. Two flatheads coupled in tandem to make a V16? Something modern and exotic? A war surplus Alison engine?

I agree on the stance change. Raise the nose some, and as Bill suggested upthread, a larger diameter front wheel/tire combo to fill the fenderwell.

As for power, this intrigues me...http://www.clearlyscale.com/product/gm-ls-v12-tremec-6060-engine-set

Just kicking an idea  .............. lengthened the hood and trunk and chopped the top....

No doubt many have had this same overall idea, myself included. I've even gone so far as to acquire two kits to accomplish this (difference being both are rag tops), although with my own brand of demented twist to it. But it's just a collection of parts on the shelf for the time being.

I think it's a great idea; one I have had myself as well. Take the well-designed but "economy car of the day" proportions of the Ford and stretch them to classic proportions. The Ford is so clean, if it had classic proportions it would fit among the high-dollar, high-end classics.

Now...get to building it!!

Now...get to building it!!

Maybe in a bit. Just got this as an early Christmas present and i am three months into the build - it was on sale then. Between this and a couple of other projects my build time for a new project is a year away

http://www.model-space.com/us/build-samurai-armor.html

not mine but you can see the detail

http://forum.us.model-space.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=6524

Edited by jaxenro

Cool idea!

I've picked up a deuce 3-window body as recently as a couple months ago, wondering if I could make it look more like a Mercedes, much like you've done here.

Here's my first attempt to photo-chop it into a more "classic" shape, but keep the hot rod look: