Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 67 Camaro- Source for flat stock hood

Anyone know of a source for a flat stock hood for the Revell 67 Camaro? only kit options so far are the raised vent, and Nickey stinger....  Im starting a replica build and require just the flat hood. If I cannot find anything aftermarket I may have to try and modify an old AMT kit hood I guess.

Mike 

Like this?

20170122_003927-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Hood is from an AMT 67 Camaro. I just set it ontop of the new Revell '67 and the outside edges would need to be shaved ever so slightly and the outer edges of the center "hump would need to be narrowed as well, but its really close I wouldnt think it would be much work at all. 

If it will do PM me. You can mail me a padded envelope with postage paid and I'll send it to you. Its got a light coat of primer on it but it can be sanded out np or striped. I live in Canada too so should only take a couple days each way. The kit body got killed ages ago so its just been sitting in a box for more years than I care to think about.

David

Sorry for the blurry pic, but it doesnt look that bad in person.

Edited by Jhedir6

The Revell '69 and '67 hoods are not interchangeable. I put an AMT '68 flat hood on a Revell '69 and IIRC all I had to do was shave a little bit off the sides. The '69 CI hood will be going on an AMT '67 or '68 project at some point and all I'll need to do is add a little material to both sides.

One other possible source for a flat hood is the AMT Funny Hugger funnycar. IIRC it comes with both flat and CI hoods. Not sure how well they'd fit the Revell body, but if you happen to have that kit in your stash it might be worth a check.

In real life, ALL '67-'69 Camaro hoods are interchangeable (bodywise, at least--the flat hoods don't have the room for big blocks). So it's kind of surprising that of all the different '67-'69 Camaro kits we've gotten over the years--AMT '67 annual, MPC '68-'69 annual, AMT '69 annual, "new tool" AMT '67-'68, Revell '69, and now Revell '67--none of the hoods are exactly the same. Some can be made to work on other bodies, others not so much. Come to think of it, I've never tried the AMT '69 annual on the AMT '67 annual so that MIGHT work, I just don't know.

What exactly are you trying to replicate with your project? You might actually be much better off just starting with the common AMT '67 kit. It's more accurately shaped in the front and back ends anyway, and with a couple simple mods can be made to look a lot better than the Revell body (without a lot of work).

The Revell '69 and '67 hoods are not interchangeable. I put an AMT '68 flat hood on a Revell '69 and IIRC all I had to do was shave a little bit off the sides. The '69 CI hood will be going on an AMT '67 or '68 project at some point and all I'll need to do is add a little material to both sides.

One other possible source for a flat hood is the AMT Funny Hugger funnycar. IIRC it comes with both flat and CI hoods. Not sure how well they'd fit the Revell body, but if you happen to have that kit in your stash it might be worth a check.

In real life, ALL '67-'69 Camaro hoods are interchangeable (bodywise, at least--the flat hoods don't have the room for big blocks). So it's kind of surprising that of all the different '67-'69 Camaro kits we've gotten over the years--AMT '67 annual, MPC '68-'69 annual, AMT '69 annual, "new tool" AMT '67-'68, Revell '69, and now Revell '67--none of the hoods are exactly the same. Some can be made to work on other bodies, others not so much. Come to think of it, I've never tried the AMT '69 annual on the AMT '67 annual so that MIGHT work, I just don't know.

What exactly are you trying to replicate with your project? You might actually be much better off just starting with the common AMT '67 kit. It's more accurately shaped in the front and back ends anyway, and with a couple simple mods can be made to look a lot better than the Revell body (without a lot of work).

Im building Kindig-it Designs Mike Hess 67 Camaro. the interior in the revell kit is way way closer, as well as the dash etc. Ive already got the correct resin grill, and a few other parts for the Revell kit.

I do have the AMT kit also, but id have to swap out the whole interior, as the door panels are wrong also and its got a molded tub.

Im building Kindig-it Designs Mike Hess 67 Camaro. the interior in the revell kit is way way closer, as well as the dash etc. Ive already got the correct resin grill, and a few other parts for the Revell kit.

I do have the AMT kit also, but id have to swap out the whole interior, as the door panels are wrong also and its got a molded tub.

I don't know what resin grille you have, but unless it involves altering the Revell body, it's wrong too, as the shape of the grille opening in the Revell body is wrong.

So what's wrong with swapping the whole Revell interior into the AMT body? I haven't tried it, but there should be no reason it can't be made to work.

FAB resin is the grill I have.... its the hideaway however still has the SS badge. havent found anything yet that doesnt have the SS badge on it.

Haven't seen that one so don't know what it is. Modelhaus offered repros of the grilles from the original AMT annual coupe and Pace Car, but as both these were SSs, they both have the SS emblem in them. I have one on hand and test-fitted it into the Revell body and it will work with a little modification of the body. Interestingly, this grill will NOT fit the "new" AMT '67-'68 Camaro body without cutting it in the middle and adjusting the angle a little, which involves shortening it a bit. You can install it as-is, but it sticks forward in the center, like it's buck-toothed. :D

Are you looking for something like this?

IMG_6471.jpg

Its from C1 Models Bumblebee transkit, When I ordred it I also ordered an extra grill & bonnet, alas I snapped the spare grill I had by accident & the 67 bonnet didnt fir the profile of the 69 Camaro I wanted to use. bit of a waste of money...

He doesnt list it on his website as being able to purchase seperatly, but you could always contact Chris, hes always been awesome to deal with.

http://www.c1-models.com/resin/bumblebee-67-camaro

IMG_6471.jpg

Its from C1 Models Bumblebee transkit, When I ordred it I also ordered an extra grill & bonnet, alas I snapped the spare grill I had by accident & the 67 bonnet didnt fir the profile of the 69 Camaro I wanted to use. bit of a waste of money...

He doesnt list it on his website as being able to purchase seperatly, but you could always contact Chris, hes always been awesome to deal with.

Well, that might be okay for a modern "custom" like a Pro Touring dealie, but it doesn't really look all that much like a real '67 Camaro RS front end. Unless you're just not too picky.

IMG_6471.jpg

thanks for the suggestion, Ive got a couple of them also, as Snake said.... not quite close enough for a stock grill, also too small for the opening. I may just adapt a MCG AMT 67 photo etch set.