Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette C7R (work in progress

kartracer812

This is my first ever model build so be kind , I race karts here in Canada and I race in a series called the Ron fellows karting championship so it was time I built a car to have him sign when I see him at the races ,I plan on doing a pretty detail build or atleast giving it a shot so any advice or help would be appreciated or ideas 

A few questions I have what do people use to make the radio antennas as I plan on including those on the car , I know you can buy the parts from hobby shops but i prefer to make them my self1485038935195583537858.thumb.jpg.d543d8f7V7A6084-X3.thumb.jpg.8d1e291aa5f3d0361814850388805321678775432.thumb.jpg.6761a0

Welcome Ryan. You picked a relatively difficult kit for you first build. I'm assuming its one of the C5-R's. They have a decent amount of fitment issues. My suggest is to take basically all the major components off their trees/spurs and dry fit everything so you can see how it will go together. One of the most notable issues is the ride height, especially in the back, it sits way too high. 

Check the Tips section and read some threads, you'll find alot of useful help. Ask questions, the only stupid question is the one you havent asked yet. Even if its been answered before someone with answer it again or point you to a thread that already deals with it.

Check out Ismael's build of the new C7-R, two generations newer yes, but there are alot of similarities in the cars, enough that you can see the direction yours will be heading.

For your antenna question, simple, make it yourself. Take a long piece of extra spur/tree, free of junctions. The ones that run along where your chassis was attached are perfect. Then, take a cigarette lighter or a burning candle and heat the middle while gently pulling the ends apart, as the plastic heats up it will thin out. Just pull till you have it as thin as you want. Once stretched to the desired length hold it steady for about 10secs away from the flame till it cools and hardens. Cut to length, sand and shape as needed then paint. You can buy aftermarket sure, but this is quick easy and you already paid for the spur plastic anyways.

Lastly, have fun. 

David

Edited by Jhedir6

I can't find the c5r or else I would have bought that one aswell 

PM me your address. I might have an unstarted one kicking around the hobby room. I'll check later tonight when I get home to see if I still have one or not.

For the antenna trick I use the same method to fill in license plate mounting holes on the front of cars if I dont want a plate there, like on my McLaren 570S. Just stretch out the spur, snip in half, add some CA glue to the holes and jamb in the thinned out spur, like this:

20170112_171916_zpsjifbdhms.jpg

Once dry just snip off, sand out and then you're ready to prime.

Edited by Jhedir6

Ryan,

As you know I'm working on this model as well.  This kit has some fit issues so make sure you test fit everything before final assembly. I've seen some excellent builds of this model so I'm sure yours will be good.  

I use mostly wire for the antennas but it depends on what antenna you are doing. Sometimes a simple trimmed sewing pin will do.  

While almost a decade old, you can check my C6R threads for ideas on the build.

The work in process is here: In Process 2006 C6R

and the completed model is here: Finished C6R 

I have plans for a Ron Fellows C6R and another C5R as soon as I'm done with the C7R.

Let me know if I can be of any help. Love to help fellow Corvette modelers :)

Thanks,

Ryan,

As you know I'm working on this model as well.  This kit has some fit issues so make sure you test fit everything before final assembly. I've seen some excellent builds of this model so I'm sure yours will be good.  

I use mostly wire for the antennas but it depends on what antenna you are doing. Sometimes a simple trimmed sewing pin will do.  

While almost a decade old, you can check my C6R threads for ideas on the build.

The work in process is here: In Process 2006 C6R

and the completed model is here: Finished C6R 

I have plans for a Ron Fellows C6R and another C5R as soon as I'm done with the C7R.

Let me know if I can be of any help. Love to help fellow Corvette modelers :)

Thanks,

thank you very much I'm very interested in how you did the inner window net , I don't plan to make my own water jug but I did find some clear wire cover small enough that I'm going to run rpm it to make the drink tube , also plan on making some of the electronic boxes 

Hello,

There are 2 main nets inside: One in the door and the one inside at the driver's right.  For the one inside, I used a metal mesh material from an old kitchen strainer and did the basic triangle shape. You can use the kit's part as a template for size.  The blue you see is blue painter's masking tape.  Upper, lower and back are strips that just wrap both sides.  The center is a very thin strip.  The outer net on the door is quite different. It is not a mesh material but rather a more traditional woven net.  That one is easier as it was done with strips of the same masking tape and even thinner strips for the verticals and the middle one.  I added a round bolt to attach the front of the inside net. The drinking tube runs from underneath the cooler up to the net and into the front of the net.  Before painting, the nets are slightly bent to force a little sag and prevent them from looking like a solid chunk. 

Word of caution: We love to add all those little details but these are not visible once the model is done.  That's why I didn't bothered with my original idea of doing a real tubing soldered roll cage like I did in the Camaro. 

IMGP9985.thumb.jpg.4e900b91cdf16d1aba98b

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Hello,

There are 2 main nets inside: One in the door and the one inside at the driver's right.  For the one inside, I used a metal mesh material from an old kitchen strainer and did the basic triangle shape. You can use the kit's part as a template for size.  The blue you see is blue painter's masking tape.  Upper, lower and back are strips that just wrap both sides.  The center is a very thin strip.  The outer net on the door is quite different. It is not a mesh material but rather a more traditional woven net.  That one is easier as it was done with strips of the same masking tape and even thinner strips for the verticals and the middle one.  I added a round bolt to attach the front of the inside net. The drinking tube runs from underneath the cooler up to the net and into the front of the net.  Before painting, the nets are slightly bent to force a little sag and prevent them from looking like a solid chunk. 

Word of caution: We love to add all those little details but these are not visible once the model is done.  That's why I didn't bothered with my original idea of doing a real tubing soldered roll cage like I did in the Camaro. 

IMGP9985.thumb.jpg.4e900b91cdf16d1aba98b

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

totally helped thanks alot !!!