Model Cars Magazine Forum

'70 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" Street Machine

Terminator-Fox

A little back story on this car is many years ago I had the Monogram version of this kit. I built it with my dad but I have no idea what happened to it and I'm sure it didn't turn out very well. This kit has been reissued multiple times so I found the newest version of it from Revell last year since I wanted to build it again.

All was going well till I sprayed the last coat of clear and dropped the body while it was wet thus ruining it :angry: After that I put the body in the purple pond to strip it. Feeling defeated I put it all back in the box for months. I contacted Revell on getting replacement decals and they were kind enough to send me another sheet free of charge :lol: I repainted it with the same model master blue from before since it looked good but I will say it sprayed awful and the coverage was bad and spotty. (I'm done with Testors paints from now on) Tamiya or bust!

IMO the kit is pretty bad and leaves a lot to be desired. It turned out well enough for me, it's basically box stock with resin Moroso valve covers added cause what Street Machine from the late 70's early 80's wouldn't have those? Here's some pics :)

Got to love these old Monogram /Revell kits.I don't know how many of these Chevelles I've built in my lifetime.I did a quick build of one just like yours  box stock but without the Heavy Chevy decals and with the side pipes and of all of them,I've never built a stock SS version of it.May have to get another one so I have a stock one.Great work.I hear you on the Testors paint.I used Testors Transparent Blue over a silver flake base and it didn't come out too bad.You just have to let each coat dry a bit before the next coat to get good coverage.

Really great-looking build of this vintage kit!  Your paint and foil-work is outstanding!  Just a minor suggestion; add a dot of Silver paint to that trunk-key-hole and then it'll be complete!

Lol yeah I noticed that trunk lock after the pics. I was so "over" messing with this thing I wanted it done.

Thanks for all the comments guys :lol:

I repainted it with the same model master blue from before since it looked good but I will say it sprayed awful and the coverage was bad and spotty. (I'm done with Testors paints from now on) Tamiya or bust!

Is that Starspangled blue? and do you use a metallic based basecoat? Silver works good but copper and gold are good too. 

I built many of these kits to. This one is exactly like the box. Nice job! Takes me back to 1989.There is a newer retooled Baldwin motion version I've been wanting to build like this one.

Thanks Anthony, The paint was Pearl Blue 2971. I had gotten two cans and they were both the same just not easy to work with. Silver basecoat probably would've been good but mine is just paint over white primer. I always loved the box cover art so I kind of wanted to emulate that look sans side pipes. Just think they look out of place on a Chevelle.