Model Cars Magazine Forum

1979 Dodge Power Wagon Brush Truck

Hi Gang,

I thought that I had started a thread on this build some time ago.  But, after an extensive search, I can't find it.  So, if this is "old news", I apologize. 

The truck I am modeling is a 1979 Dodge Power Wagon brush truck owned until very recently by the Independence Fire Co. No. 1 of Palmyra, NJ.  Otherwise known as the Palmyra Fire Department, I was proud to serve there in the early 1980's. 

8016-01.jpg

8016-02.jpg

8016-03.jpg

The truck had many unique features including dual booster reels, lots of equipment packed into a compact package!  But probably the most interesting was the pedestal mounted deck gun that sat atop the pickup bed.  Why would you put such a thing in a brush truck?  Well, Palmyra is a small town across the Delaware River from Philadelphia.  Typical of such towns, The main street through town had rows of shops and businesses with residences above.  Firefighters call these "taxpayers", as the businesses generate tax revenue for the town, while also providing living space for the owners or tenants.  Behind these taxpayers, was a narrow alley.  It was too narrow to fit a standard fire truck down.  But, the pickup truck fit just fine!  With some modifications done by a local metal fabricator, we were in business.  The angle irons at the back of the truck could support the hose lines drug to the rear of the truck.  the pedestal mounted deck gun would have a manifold that could accept up to three supply lines.  As seen in the photos, the truck had a few different pairings of wheels, rear emergency lights, and nozzles for the deck gun.  Interestingly enough, it's replacement, a 2007 Ford still retains a similar pedestal mounted deck gun!  That truck is also "on the drawing board"

8016-06.jpg

picsay-1389670649.jpg

8016-08.jpg

1427377581_20150321_025033-picsay.jpg

picsay-1389670967.jpg

8016-02-1.jpg

8016_35.jpg

I am a nut when it comes to details.  This is the reason it has taken so long to do this project, because everything had to be just right!  One of the big challenges was the grille and headlights.  To my knowledge, no manufacturer  or resin caster had ever offered this combination before.  I am not gifted with "sculptural abilities", but recently, a fellow modeler (thanks John) encouraged me to work through it.  While probably not up to the level of quality of somme of our builders here, I am pretty happy with the results.  I still need to do some additional modifications to it, but I hope to be on my way to wrapping this one up soon!

20170114_223633-picsay.jpg

20170122_002313-picsay.jpg

20170122_002328-picsay.jpg

Thanks for looking!

David

Edited by hooknladderno1
punctuation

Nice work! I think your headlight work is very convincing.

I wanted to comment about the light bar you would need. You should definitely try to get in touch with Dwayne Larriviere, a fellow member here. He is the only one who, to my knowledge, makes the light bar you need. Check out his work here:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/116809-1982-dodge-dip-louisiana-state-police-custom-parts/

The bad news is that he hasn't been on since September and he hasn't answered back to my last PM. I thought I'd provide his info anyhow for your project.

Wow! I'm really liking the looks of this!  If you could get more pictures of the scratch built Briggs & Stratton engine, I'm really interested to see how you built it!

The Briggs &Stratton engine is a Don Mills Models piece cast in metal.  I have since added additional components to replicate the 1:1 emgine. 

Over the weekend I can get some updated photos.

David

The Briggs &Stratton engine is a Don Mills Models piece cast in metal.  I have since added additional components to replicate the 1:1 emgine. 

1485392860_20140104_003135-picsay.jpg

1485392725_20140104_003319-picsay.jpg

Over the weekend I can get some updated photos.

David

Thank you! Looks to be a very nice piece.  I have a few ideas for small engines like these but never found a suitable casting and never had the motivation to build my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Dodges were used by a LOT of fire departments! I had a 1974 1/2 ton W100 stepside that at one time had a 250 gallon tank and a similar set up as your build. It was WAY overloaded but did the job, was formerly a New York State Forestry truck. It had enough life left to her for me to get several years of my own abuse out of her. Keep the great work photos coming................outstanding details!