Model Cars Magazine Forum

TAT 2017: 1976 Chevrolet Bison

I was going to wait a little while longer before I started this thread on my 1976 Chevrolet Bison stake truck so I had more progress to show; but since we are already close to the end of the month, and the rules do say "monthly updates" I figured no time like the present.

Here is the kit that I am starting with:

Yes, the venerable AMT Chevrolet Bison.  The plan is to replace the 8V92 that comes in the kit with a 6V92T, shorten the hood to a 108" BBC from the kits 116" BBC, swap out the air ride suspension for the spring suspension from the AMT GMC Astro/95, then add the stake body from the AMT Ford C600 kit (thank you, Aaron).  I have had the Auslowe Detroit Diesel 6V92T kit kicking around for a while now, and I figured this would be perfect:

Oh, man, was I ever wrong!  Ever since I started building this engine back on January 1st, it's been one step forward & two steps back!  I'm going to toss the Auslowe engine idea, and replace it with a 6V92T from GW Trucks.

Hopefully more progress next month!

Sam, I'm hoping Gary's is better, but time will tell.  I just got tired of messing with ti to try to make it look right.  I was even swapping in parts from the AMT 8V92, and it was still rough.

Rick, thanks.  I think I'm going to need it! :D

Dennis, thanks.  Time will tell if this is successful, or makes it's "first flight" some time in April.

Yes & no.  On the Charger, the assembly was easy, but the paint & decals were a nightmare.  On this one I'm going with an easy paint job, but the assembly is more challenging.  Doing a few things on this one I've never done before: shortening the frame, shortening the hood, & adding a resin engine.  Haven't decided about a steerable front axle yet, though.  I have done that before.

So, the 6V92T arrived yesterday from Gary Wallace, and as promised, here are a few photos.  The kit comes complete with everything you'll need to make the 6V92T, and all of the parts are molded in a nice, white resin.  Detail is crisp; although there is a small amount of flash.

The engine block looks to be correct, with decent attachment points.  There are no flanges provided to mount the engine to the frame; however, there are flat areas where these can be mounted to.

Gary even provides the correct valve covers with breather caps:

All in all, I am very please with this engine kit from Gary.  Per his recommendation, I will be soaking this in Wesley's Bleach White today, so I should be able to start assembly soon.  Here's to progress!