Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Bumper Guards

Greetings all. One of my favorite modeling subjects are models of cars I used to own. I've built several over the years, even the race car I used to have, but the one I've never built is the first car I ever had....a 1957 Chevrolet 2 dr. hardtop. Why, you ask? Because I can't find a kit that has the optional bumper guards. This was a big deal to me on my car back in '71....I scoured junkyards all over North Georgia to find a useable set, both front and rear, and I just can't build a model of this car without them.  Is there a kit anywhere that has these, or something close? 

1957-Chevy-BelAir-rear-bumper.jpg

1957-Chevy-BelAir-bumper.jpg

1957-chevrolet-grill.jpg

89636_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Greetings all. One of my favorite modeling subjects are models of cars I used to own. I've built several over the years, even the race car I used to have, but the one I've never built is the first car I ever had....a 1957 Chevrolet 2 dr. hardtop. Why, you ask? Because I can't find a kit that has the optional bumper guards. This was a big deal to me on my car back in '71....I scoured junkyards all over North Georgia to find a useable set, both front and rear, and I just can't build a model of this car without them.  Is there a kit anywhere that has these, or something close? 

1957-Chevy-BelAir-rear-bumper.jpg

1957-Chevy-BelAir-bumper.jpg

1957-chevrolet-grill.jpg

89636_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

I just checked all of the '57's I have and couldn't come up with anything, although I found an AMT '55 Street Machine issue that may work. I'm sure the bumpers are shaped differently at the mounting point on the bumper but I think with a little work they could be altered to fit. The kit is listed as #31931 and it has a red '55 Chevy on the box with a checkered area on the upper rear quarters. They may not be 100% what your looking for but I don't know of any other bumper guards out there.  

Looks like this might be what you want , not having seen the kit , you can only hope that's whats in the box.

amtamt988-12.jpg

It's listed at Hobby Link.

While I don't have that particular kit, I strongly suspect its the same kit they've been reissuing for years, and it doesn't have bumper guards at all. They even issued it once with a sedan as the box art.....hardtop inside.  Still, it's worth checking out though. Thank you!

I just checked all of the '57's I have and couldn't come up with anything, although I found an AMT '55 Street Machine issue that may work. I'm sure the bumpers are shaped differently at the mounting point on the bumper but I think with a little work they could be altered to fit. The kit is listed as #31931 and it has a red '55 Chevy on the box with a checkered area on the upper rear quarters. They may not be 100% what your looking for but I don't know of any other bumper guards out there.  

Thank you, I had that kit in the stash so I checked it out. I don't know.....they're close, but no cigar. I think the rears are closer than the front, but like you say, modification is definitely necessary. I'm not sure if I have enough skill to pull that off, but I may give it a shot. Thank you!

You might try something that can easily be cut or molded in such a way as to form a templet. With a templet you can then use a piece of spruce to practice the shape for the mounting to the bumper. I wouldn't worry about the front or face of the part at this time, you're just trying to see if you can replicate the mounting surface to the bumper. Once you have that done you will then have a templet to use to mark and cut the bumper guards. You're correct that the bumpers face is shaped differently on the '55 compared to the '57. What I think is the good news is that the only material you'll have to remove from the guards is for the upper half where the '57's top portion of the bumper sticks out and the '55's bumper goes toward the body. Removing part of the guard is easier than adding material. Try making a templet even if it's just using a small piece of paper or what I use is the inner tube from a roll of TP. I know it sounds funny but the card board centers are just strong enough to hold a shape and very easy to cut will a good #11 blade. Good luck on your project.

The box art for the Revell '57 Chevy Nomad shows bumper guards on the rear. I looked on the Drastic Plastic site and, sure enough, the instructions show the rear bumper with guards; the front bumper, however, doesn't have 'em.

Well, it's a start...

Good idea, so I went there and looked. Unfortunately, They're not quite the right shape and they appear to be molded to the bumper and much too close together......so I guess it's back to the drawing board for me.....Thank you for the suggestion, it's the best so far.  I've never even see a diecast that had bumper guards.