Model Cars Magazine Forum

Impalow's Scale Auto Parts - Shapeways Store - New RotiForm Wheels!

82A51F9D-E727-48A7-9F18-D34E871C9B79.jpg

Made these and put them up on shape-ways if anyone is looking for them.  I used the 1926 patent drawing as an underlay so the shape is pretty close.  The bottom of the light comes to more of a point than the original.   But the lense and overall shape is pretty close.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/D88VAJFSF/woodlight-inspired-headlights-1-24-1-25-scale?optionId=61690608&li=shop-inventory

Straight out of the box from shapeways (these are the "extreme detail" 11.00 option, note:the 9.00 option may need more sanding and primer)

2EB6078A-4A38-421F-AF1A-94954CB06FE8.jpg

ABD32F50-1A9D-44D4-87FD-239874DF1BAC.jpg

No sanding... just primer

F15AE63E-3F68-47DE-AF22-C8953830A50F.jpg

light sanding and more primer... and mounted

8DFF232D-5033-48D4-8B58-33F831FE5F5A.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Are the lenses included for that price?

sorry tom, but no lenses are included at this time...

Nice, but to get a baby-butt-smooth chrome finish they will have to be sanded/primed better.

yeah, i predict at least one more sand and prime from the bottom photo before they are ready for some alclad.

What are you going to use for the extremely odd shaped lenses in those Woodlites?Carve them from clear Lucite,or are they flat so you fill the cavity with clear epoxy?

They are just flat lenses... I was thinking about cutting them out of some .015 clear sheet i have, maybe a couple thicknesses to get the depth.

I have even thought about adjusting the blade depth on my cutter, and scoring a pattern into the clear sheet before cutting the outside shape...  but your epoxy idea is a good one as well.  I just haven't got to that part yet.. haha

These look really cool. Makes me want to try on a streamline custom or somthing and add those

Thank you!   A local guy had them on a Hollywood Graham street rod...  once I saw them i had to use them on something.

• 3 months later...

New Pricing on these...  thanks to shapeways lowering the prices.. we are at 6.00 and 7.00  for the 2 options..  I have ordered both.. and they look close to the same to me... so I would save the dollar and go with the 6.00 frosted ultra detail.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/D88VAJFSF/woodlight-inspired-headlights-1-24-1-25-scale?optionId=61690608&li=shop-inventory

The marked red is the 6.00 option..  clear is the 7.00.. Straight out the bag.. no cleanup

39E66612-C27D-4D64-9896-06B22C145061.jpg

9A370999-7D30-4632-9600-4EC70C7FE1F8.jpg

They look great with some alclad chrome on them

D5A9A39F-3E9A-45FA-A588-A67A02C3858F.jpg

Edited by Impalow

Hey guys I have uploaded a couple new things to my shapeways store... http://shpws.me/QgcJ

The slicks from my comet showod, and an amazing set of RotiForm ZRH wheels..   I was working on a Lambo and couldn't find the right wheel combo, so i just made them...   and figured I might as well share with the class. IMG_E7780.thumb.JPG.006c03e1657169949b27150c51a00d4e.JPGIMG_7783.thumb.JPG.4fe34d5553b64f7a3ed58ce955d8e575.JPG25348989879_ac009ac5e5_b.jpg.d972f95b2db150f72e2419e396dd3ab3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Outstanding work Eric!  Your out of the box thinking, and methods have inspired me to jump back in. I have recently purchased my first 3d parts. I was wondering if you considered posting your designs you have made for the cutter to shapeway as a printable part. My fall back in model building has always been the chassis. I have started using the cutter to try and make my own to help get over that hump. Your work is beautiful, and fun. I think that frames would be a huge hit on Shapeways.

I love what you have done this is amazing. I could use a set of those Rotiforms with tires. I've never ordered from Shapeways. Can you give me a primer on them? What is your name on their site? Do we order your design from them and they print it out and ship it? Do they take credit cards? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Edited by oldcarfan

Well, don't mind if I barge in!

Shapeways is a 3D printing service/ E-store that allows content-creators to host their designs in their own individual storefronts on Shapeways' site. Customers can then order parts from those storefronts.  Shapeways prints and ships the parts, taking a cut of the proceeds. They do take credit cards!

This way, Shapeways can cultivate a wide range of products without having to design everything themselves, and creators can make a little cash without having to print, package, and ship the parts. Win-win. Also, Shapways offers discounts to creators in order to motivate them to buy their own stuff--like I just did, haha. 

Looks like Impalow is "Impalow's Scale Auto Parts" on Shapeways: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/impalow-s-scale-auto-parts