Model Cars Magazine Forum

Curving styrene sheet with a heat gun

I have a need for some lengths of styrene sheet with a linear curve to them.I want to replicate in 1/25 th sale is about 20' of sheet metal that transitions from flat on top to flat on the side like a travel trailer roof to a flat side sheet.I am considering heating sheet styrene sheet with a heat gun then wraping it around a 1" or so wooden dowel rod then cutting to final shape.Have any of you done this with any success?I don't really want to try heating in water as I'm sure I'll burn myself(again).

I don't own a heat gun yet and wanted to ask around before investing in another tool I don't really need or use.Thanks in advance

Hi Tom,

What thickness are you using? Most anything up to .020 can be bent by hand over a 1/2" radius. I have bent .010 and .020 thou sheet with just the heat of friction from rubbing the material.

A heat gun would work fine for larger panels such as you are working with. Go slow and increase the heat until the panel starts to droop. Remove the heat and roll the sheet to the angle you need and hold it there for a bit until it cools. Should keep the shape just fine.

Mark

I've done a few of the thinner sheets but found a hair dryer to be enough.  I have a heat gun that I bought for shrink tubing and the skin on RC airplanes and it's a bit too hot.  Be especially careful, too much heat will melt the sheet and release some noxious plastic fumes in the process.  I usually go by the principle that you can always add more heat if what you are doing isn't working, but adding too much heat right at the start can cost you a lot of material.  The heat gun gets as hot or hotter than boiling water so oven mitts and hotplates should be handy.

I've been using this soldering station for a number of years. It has this heat gun as part of the station. It goes up to 480 degrees and makes real quick work of bending and forming 1/8th inch ABS panels. I used it to bend parts for some cup holders I added to a shifter console in my '56. it is fully adjustable from 0 to all out and works well on thinner material also. Just sneak up on the temp. Once you've used it a while you will know what the plastic likes and doesn't like.

Mark

ry=400.jpg

ry=400-2.jpg

ry=400-3.jpg

ry=400-4.jpg

I have a need for some lengths of styrene sheet with a linear curve to them.I want to replicate in 1/25 th sale is about 20' of sheet metal that transitions from flat on top to flat on the side like a travel trailer roof to a flat side sheet.I am considering heating sheet styrene sheet with a heat gun then wraping it around a 1" or so wooden dowel rod then cutting to final shape.Have any of you done this with any success?I don't really want to try heating in water as I'm sure I'll burn myself(again).

I don't own a heat gun yet and wanted to ask around before investing in another tool I don't really need or use.Thanks in advance

I was literally thinking about making a 5x8 enclosed trailer and was wondering about this myself. 

Are you building a trailer? 

Here's a trick I've been using to shape styrene tubing for roll-cages and sheet for other panels...for years. It works perfectly every time, doesn't burn your fingers (if you're reasonably careful) and doesn't melt and warp your plastic bits into smoke-stained wrinkly slag...if those things matter to you.

FIND a piece of something that has exactly the radius you want for whatever you're making.

WRAP your sheet or tube around it.

SECURE your tube or sheet with quality masking tape, so it can't move.

HEAT the whole mess in boiling water (styrene PERMANENTLY deforms at about 212F or 100C, which is boiling) or pass your industrial heat gun (or hair-dryer on high) back and forth several times. MAKE SURE THE HEAT SATURATES THE PLASTIC EVENLY.

WAIT about 30 seconds to a minute.

COOL it under running tap water.

REMOVE the tape. Your part will STAY in exactly the radius of the form you had it taped to.

NOTE: You want to use a QUALITY masking tape, like 3M green, because it's designed to be baked in a paint booth. It will hold up well enough to boiling-hot water for a couple of minutes to be removable without squirming around and leaving adhesive carp all over everything.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I have had problems bending plastic sheet while building my 2935 Airstream Torpedo trailer last year.The sheet showed stress cracking in the areas of greatest stress resulting some extra work to correct.This was sheet about 4"wide at that area and well braced inside to resist springing back.Thanks for being willing to share your tech.

I have had problems bending plastic sheet while building my 2935 Airstream Torpedo trailer last year.The sheet showed stress cracking in the areas of greatest stress resulting some extra work to correct.This was sheet about 4"wide at that area and well braced inside to resist springing back.Thanks for being willing to share your tech.

For making curved sections of sheet, I find .010" to .030" to be ideal. They're flexible enough cold to wrap around a piece of tubing, and of course, after the formed sections are assembled, they become much more rigid.

If I remember correctly I chose .045"and wrapped it around a foam buck in the shape of that trailer body.The stress cracks did not show right away.The year of that Airstream was not 2935,it is 1935.We live in Jackson Center,Ohio the hometown of Airstream so that build was a natural choice for me.Sally Byam the founder of Airstream sold plans to build this trailer in Popular Mechanics magazine in 1935.I found images if those plans on line and based my model on those images.