Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ever seen an engine run before?

Cool!  I'm also surprised with how long the clear plastic (Lexan?) head lasted being burned by exploding fuel.

That have to be Lexan, normal plexi-glass or Acrylic sheet even at that thickness wouldn't last long enough even in a Briggs engine! What really surprises me is the plug location, it fire better if it was more centered over the piston!

That have to be Lexan, normal plexi-glass or Acrylic sheet even at that thickness wouldn't last long enough even in a Briggs engine! What really surprises me is the plug location, it fire better if it was more centered over the piston!

True, but I suspect that a center hole for the spark plug would have weakened the clear head.

Pete,

Well Lexan is something else that for clear plastic sheet will stop a 44 magnum bullet at close range as well as a 357 shot at close range at only 1/2 inch thick, on a 4 foot by 4 foot section! That head on the Briggs engine? Looks to be more close to 1 inch thick (maybe even thicker!). AND its small. A lot smaller then the 48 inch by 48 inch section to stop a close range bullet from a 44 magnum or a 357..... I only know this as we used it for state building main office that I was a maintenance engineer 1 for. Was used as a protective barrier in the entrance of the main office only 1/2 inch thick! -Kinda like what ya see in a Bank.

The plug center in that clear head actually I do not believe have any effect on the strength of that Lexan head..... I do not believe that a Briggs engine plug fire has that much impact....

Whats really impressive I think, is the mere fact the firing of the gasoline and all didn't burn/charr the underside of the clear Lexan where we viewed it from!