Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 83 H/O build

Hunter_alexander

I posted this in the welcome forum and figured I'd post I here as well.

I normally build real 1:1 g body cutlasses but building a revell model 83 h/o. 

Id like to build as my last car, a 87 cutlass. I know clearly scale made the 87 header panel and a host of other parts but they are sold out. 

Anyways, onto the build.

oh and here is my 87

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0238.JPG

Edited by Hunter_alexander

Ok, been doing some looking as I started the kit and have a couple questions.

1. Is there anyone producing better tires that will fit on the rims that come in the kit? If correct they are 15x7 inch rims originally.

2. I like the kit so far. Obviously I am looking for the clearly scale items they made, the 87 header panel, flat hood, pretty much any of the parts they made except the cowl hoods. Figures I was late to the party and only just found out that Revell made this kit and all the aftermarket suppliers are sold out already. :(

Trying to think of how detailed I want to make this. I haven't built a model in a long time, but might buy a couple more of these kits to build some of the other 81-88 Cutlass/442's I have had over the years.

Beautiful looking Oldsmobile. We had an '86 Monte Carlo SS from '86 to 2003. These two cars share a lot of DNA. Went over 100k with nothing but normal maintenance and sold it for just a little more than what we paid new, about $10k. Hang on to your 1:1, it's perfect looking and you already know how hard it is to find these cars anymore.  

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good so far. I may have to check out the Clearly Scale Flat Hood and the later Front End with the Composite Headlamps. I already have the Model Car Garage PE Set for it, and I intend to get a set of Fireball Radial T/As. The first one I am going to do is going to be the '83 Hurst Olds.

The red (burgundy) interior on this one came out a bit too dark on this one. Claret interior is a bit lighter on the H/O's compared to the oxblood (burgundy) interiors of the 85-87 442's. Oh well. I will try to dry brush the seats etc with a lighter shade to tone the shininess down a touch and lighten it up.

And finally, the engine compartment getting there. The passenger side tank is the radiator overflow, the drivers side is windshield washer fluid tank. The firewall item is windshield wiper motor, and the silver thing by the windshield fluid that's painted silver is actually the cruise contol motor, which had a black cable running from the drivers side fender motor to the engine. So it's silver. And this was 83 only for the hurst olds. 84 had a servo on the engine itself. And of course the a/c is the silver tank back passengers side firewall

image.jpeg