Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 57 Chrysler 300C

GeeBee

Geoff, I'm curious why you just didn't polish the MCW paint instead of spraying clear on top.  I think most of the MCW paints don't require a clear coat. 

MCW lacquers are PPG Duracryl, and after downloading their instruction sheets, it said the paint could either be polished, or to add a little extra deep shine, an acrylic clearcoat could be applied over it, which is what I did.

Just be glad it's a 300 and not a New Yorker! :lol:

Well funny you should mention that, as I bought another one of these kits, firstly to use the bumpers as the ones I did in the chrome paint turned out less than shiney once the clearcoat went on, so they were in the stripper, sadly AMT mounted the rear bumper on the parts tree with the cut off's at the top of the bumper, and there quite big, so to get it to look right, it needed stripping and doing in Alclad, which I only used this time, as the K Colors process takes quite a while, and part # 64, the radiator support was missing in my original kit, in the end i used that part out of the second kit to scratchbuild another one, so I now have another 57 Chrysler 300 kit, that I didn't want to build as a 300C, after I found a link to a site in Australia and sending them a quick email to see if the kit is still available, and get an yes as an answer, it will now be built as a "New Yorker"

Thanks for all the comments, I hear so many bad things said about AMT kits, and as I haven't built one for many years, but this one has to be the nicest kit I've built in a long time, no real problems with parts fit, if the Plymouth Belvedere and the Edsel Pacer are as good to build as this one, I'll enjoy them just as much, I'll get the rest of the airbrushing done on the side emblems in the week, then it can go in the "Under Glass" section.

Very nice work Geoff. Yes the other kits you mentioned are just as nice. AMT did a lot of good quality kits in their later years of production. The bad wrap is unjust in my opinion. I've built a lot of their kits over the years with maybe only a few minor issues. But no more than any other brands of kits out there. Have yet to find a perfect kit lol.

I haven't been spending much time in the hobby room lately, but I'm determined to get this one finished, all that's left to do is the side emblems, so they were cut from the sheet along with the 300C script, after thinking of the best way to do things, I came up with a plan, airbrush the badge with white primer, once dry mask off and airbrush the blue segment, and then once that had dried, airbrush the red segment, then attach the script with some acrylic clear, then brush over the whole emblem with some clear until it has a slightly raised appearance, like the badge would be in real life, well this morning I got them fitted to the car, I'll get some better photo's of the model over the next few days .....