Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 70 Ford Galaxie Police Interceptor

cjanderson

Once again, thanks for the ad. As a disclaimer, my focus is mainly on building cop cars and emergency type vehicles. Everyone has their niche and that happens to be mine. Enough of that. Stared at this kit for a few months and couldn't decide what agency I wanted it to be. Finally, after some google searching, I decided it's gonna end up a Minnesota state patrol car. So I did some digging and found they used Furys in 70 but did use Ford custom 500's in 69. We'll, the 70 is gonna have to work after seeing that Maroon color. I wasn't getting terribly specific about the engine. Apparently the kit doesn't come with the correct one, so I may bend a little truth on that and just generalize it as a 390. Bottom line is that I just don't see a lot of Minn State Patrol cars being done and this is my attempt.

IMG_2365.JPG

IMG_2364.JPG

IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2453.JPG

Edited by cjanderson
edit

In 69 and 70, when getting up to high speeds, there was some structural integrity issues in the hood latch construction that led Ford to issuing hood pin kits to the department to prevent them from flying off. Plus began working on the bi directional stop sign for hood. 

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

Chris,

I know how you feel, this being our profession tends to skew what you build alot. Looks like a cool project. I saw those decals on Ebay someplace. That website for MNSP cars really makes me want to build one, oneday...will be watching this one!

Jeff

Chris,

I know how you feel, this being our profession tends to skew what you build alot. Looks like a cool project. I saw those decals on Ebay someplace. That website for MNSP cars really makes me want to build one, oneday...will be watching this one!

Jeff

Jeff

There is quite a bit of neat information on that (Maroon Cruisers.com) site. Very informative and even lists the year they went to the Maroon to include original paint code. Very helpful

I've got this kit in the pile; will be interested in watching your progress.

What color did you use for the interior?

Jonah

thanks Jonah. 

I used Testors model master in Israeli armor sand, added some black wash then dry brushed with Tamiya dark yellow. I used regular brown for wood grain and the black wash again to create some swirls in wood to emulate real wood. 

I like what you are doing to that one. I bought several of the '70's for future projects  They were the cruiser of choice in our area (Washington, DC). Also I would love to backdate one to a '69 Custom.

Thanks Ron. 

Nothin saying we can't back date it. It's our projects and I'm sure a 70 may have snuck in there somewhere. Will be doing another one right after this for my uncle who was Chicago PD, when they were blue and white. He swears he had a 1970 galaxie 500 for his scout car even though I can't find any info to suggest they had them. But hey, it's his story, I'm just trying to do something cool for him. 

Looks great so far.  What still annoys me is the model companies back in the day put engines in kits that never came in the real car I guess to save some money on a new mold.  You can't argue it would be cool if there really were some Big Fords with factory Boss 429 engines besides in NASCAR but it never happened.

Essentially finished the hood. Body is back in booth for some wet sanding and some clear coat. After a bad paint mishap, had to submerge in purple power for a while and start all over. I didn't do the best masking job, which leads me to this:

While I love what BMF brings to the table and looks wise, I very much !@#$%^& dislike applying it. So the rear trim piece is a bit of smoke and mirrors.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (003).jpg

Edited by cjanderson

Essentially finished the hood. Body is back in booth for some wet sanding and some clear coat. After a bad paint mishap, had to submerge in purple power for a while and start all over. I didn't do the best masking job, which leads me to this:

While I love what BMF brings to the table and looks wise, I very much !@#$%^& dislike applying it. So the rear trim piece is a bit of smoke and mirrors.

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (003).jpg

Looking good so far! The '70 Ford is a very cool car! 

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender (003).jpg

Looking good so far! The '70 Ford is a very cool car!