Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 New Ray 579 (Update 02-08-2017) Got 'em back together

Gonna begin to modify a New Ray Peterbilt 579......I'm really digging this toy, for sure.....All Y'all know I'm gonna paint this baby ORANGE !!!! For starters.....I'm not sure what all I'm gonna do, but you'll see it, here.....This is the starting point.....

20170130_1527222_zpsqyb7oq1r.jpg

20170130_225538_zpsqn9flcgh.jpg

20170130_2256012_zpsshxugwej.jpg

20170130_2303352_zpsc8iidn8l.jpg

20170130_2306262_zps3yt0r59e.jpg

Here it is next to my Italeri Volvo and step deck I built a while ago.....Looks the part, I'd say......Can't wait to get rid of those stupid buttons and fix those mirrors.....Once that's done, it shouldn't take too much more to make it look realistic.....

20170130_2309072_zpsywxt7ykl.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

u haven't ran out of that orange paint yet..lol..i got another friend that takes the body re works it and adds it to a regular plastic model frame..then he rebuilt the trailer with a third axle..u can do it..

X's 2 Exactly what I was thinking. Orange . and add  an axle to the low boy .r

Be Well

Gator

u haven't ran out of that orange paint yet..lol..i got another friend that takes the body re works it and adds it to a regular plastic model frame..then he rebuilt the trailer with a third axle..u can do it.

I totally had that one on the brain, as well.....I want to add a flip down axle to the back side of that low boy.....Totally gonna do that.....

JT, just in case you were lacking in enthusiasm...and you seemed slightly unsure of the color choice. (Ya, right) LOL. Going to be very cool!

OOOOOOHHHH !!!!!!! Thank you for that pic !!!!!! That's PERFECT.....I looked all over and couldn't find one with that super aero (or whatever it's called) in orange.....That's pretty much what I want to do.....Thanks, Buddy.......Love this forum, Man....I'm telling you.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Well....I got it all torn apart.....Went to work on prettying it up a little and such.....Reworked the mirrors and slapped a little paint on it.....Here's where we are, now.....

There are quite a few screws to take out.....I only hope I can remember where they all go when it comes time to get it back together.....

20170131_204604_zpspddsmjvu.jpg

There is an unsightly mold seam that just HAS to go.....

20170131_210503_zps32pubb8b.jpg

Got the button holes filled and sanded....I may add a light bar right there.....Just a thought, for now.....Also added some skirts to the side fairings and front bumper.....I want to do it to the wheel wells, too, but I'll have to revisit that, later.....

20170131_220056_zpstxavujps.jpg

20170131_211430_zpscamenevw.jpg

There is a hole already cut out, too.....After a little more research, I think we will have a nicely appointed interior fabbed up.....I'm too anxious to get this one done to see how it looks with a Moebius 53'er behind it.....So for now, I'm leaving the roof top loose so I can get to it later.....The cab and interior pieces come out fairly easily......

20170131_211143_zpsb9i41xro.jpg

20170131_230212_zps8ojnbjwl.jpg

20170201_093118_zpsctagng5x.jpg

20170131_230226_zpsh11qscz7.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Gonna begin to modify a New Ray Peterbilt 579......I'm really digging this toy, for sure...

JT, this is all your fault! lol. Yet again, one of your ideas became so infectious, I was forced to take action. First, I had to use orange and black on my needle nose Pete, and now I had to get on ebay and acquire one of these toys, so that it can be made into a model. I knew I was bitten right after I found the picture of the black truck I added last night. I am not a big fan of the aerodynamic rigs manufactured this century, I know I am a dinosaur, (cabovers still the favorite, always will be), but after seeing your side by side shots, and your eagerness to tear into this and make it the basis for a model, it dawned on me, that this is really not that different then getting a molded cab and sleeper in a kit. Not to mention, the 579 is a great looking truck. I have an Italeri 377 chassis left over, a resin, Cummins, Signature 600, that, with the addition of all the emission junk, and a black valve cover, will more than pass for the ISX available in the 579. A set of Jamie's resin Peterbilt wheels, and a raiding of the scrapbox, and we're in business.

Like I said, JT, it is all your fault, and I THANK YOU, my friend, for the inspiration.