Model Cars Magazine Forum

Race Trailers (Lift Gate in for Trailer "B" 03-08-2017)

JT, how do you cut your circles? Or do you punch them?

Actually, I just use one of these and a drill.....It's crude, but it works.....I can drill through multiple pieces of plastic, thereby making both trailer sides exactly the same.....Critical when doing these......I tape both sides together, mark where I want the holes and get busy.....Take them apart and I have two matching sides.....

JT, I have seen a couple of your completed trailers but never saw a build thread so I am excited to see this take shape. I have wanted to do a 6 car hauler like Reliable carriers for a long time maybe with a removable top. I have researched it a little and collected some kits - the Revell car transport and a couple of the different box vans - but unsure where to start.

Got some more done, today.....I managed to get what I shall call "Shell A" together......It's been a while, so I'm glad I have 2 of these to do....My measurements on a couple things were a teensy bit off, but easily corrected.....Just a little rusty, I guess....Anyway here's what I did in the past few hours.....

Had to add some strip at the bottom to get the floor in the right place....

20170202_095857_zps3vb90kpa.jpg

20170202_095832_zpsci2qawb0.jpg

Then, of course, I have to make the floor.....

20170202_103128_zpslt4otvbt.jpg

The wheel wells have to be fabbed up......

20170202_104826_zps3k1p5siw.jpg

And put into place.....

20170202_114614_zpsesrnpkrt.jpg

Then the front end pieces have to be cut and installed.....

20170202_114643_zps2fjjarki.jpg

And then, "Boom".....Instant race trailer shell.....From here, you can go a number of ways......

20170202_115556_zpsv2py6plj.jpg

You can do the interior and lift gate, if you so choose......This one will have a lift gate.....That is where I will be going after I get the wheels and tires on.....

Edited by kilrathy10

Very basic tandem axle set up......This is a curbside model.....I get my wheels and tires from the 1/32 scale Jada big rig models......They work great for these and are easily acquired......You do end up with a lot of little rigs with no wheels on them, though....I wish I could just order a bunch of them......

20170202_123820_zps4l3efbuu.jpg

Here it is on my "Test" tractor to check appearances....

20170202_123701_zpsmopvjv4j.jpg

20170202_123718_zpsdfiqqfvf.jpg

The roof top with lip added for support and alignment....

20170202_131218_zps7b6apnqf.jpg

20170202_131457_zpszchebvp1.jpg

20170202_124840_zpsn9jes9zl.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

JT, I have seen a couple of your completed trailers but never saw a build thread so I am excited to see this take shape. I have wanted to do a 6 car hauler like Reliable carriers for a long time maybe with a removable top. I have researched it a little and collected some kits - the Revell car transport and a couple of the different box vans - but unsure where to start.

I would imagine you could do a Reliable set up using the Revell car transport and build a housing similar to this one....I may have to tackle something like that next.....I never thought of combining the two....You just put an idea into my head that I would NEVER have come up with if you hadn't made this reply....Thanks a lot, Mike......:D

Edited by kilrathy10

JT excellent build on this trailer !! You really have this down and make it look easy, thanks for all the information. I'm glad I could contribute an idea that you would consider worthwhile to try. I got the inspiration form the Ford Cobra Caravan from the 60's. I'm a big Ford, Shelby, Peterbilt fan so I thought I would try to do a classic little window long wheel base with 6 car enclosed hauler full of expensive cars I will never be able to own!! Lol. You know the Reliable trucks are orange...right??

JT, I've been admiring your building of the trailer and was thinking of trying my hand at it. Could you tell me what thickness is the plastic of the sides, bottom and top of the trailer? Keep up the good work.

Jim

Believe it or not, it's almost cut entirely out of .060 sheet styrene.....With the exception of the axles, wheels and tires......And, of course parts of the lift gate...Which I haven't gotten to, just yet, but there's more to come.....Just as soon as I can find some more time.....

And welcome aboard, Man....Can't wait to see what you contribute to the forum.....:D

Edited by kilrathy10

• 3 weeks later...