Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spielwaren Messe Neurenberg 2017 + Pictures!

Don't know if this might be cheaper or not.  But the old ESCI R5 Police Car seems to have a Gordini-Alpine lurking in the box.  It has the special wheels, complete with the tiny Alpine "A" on the tiny hubcaps.  It also has the "hemi" engine (with sparkplugs on top of the cylinder head, not entering thru the side.) I found all this out when I went researching the Police Car.  They used the standard steel wheels. And those are 3-bolt Renault wheels, so it isn't easy to find a replacement in the ol' parts box.  Think I have a solution by patching in the outer rim of some Subaru steel wheels and leaving the 3 lug part alone.  At least the Subaru wheels have 6 cooling slots, like the Renault standard wheels.

Renault_5_Pol.jpg

You could use Ebbro R4 wheels.

Anyone know what scale the Airfix QuickBuild kits are and if they are accurate?

I bought two of the QuickBuild beetles for my son and it scales out at something like 1:22 I guess. It is built up in the same way as Lego (the parts have the same size attachments) so it can be combines with that (you can put Lego-men in seats) and is therefore easy to put together and take a part again for a child. Not fantastic amount of detail on anything like that but look fairly good when built up.

I gave the Beetle to daughter #2 for Christmas.
She was well chuffed with it and put it together without any assistance. She is 10.
She also uses it to ferry around her Lego people. The knob pattern is fully Lego compatible.
It's made from a very sturdy plastic, not unlike Lego, too.

Apart from the odd scale, which is indeed somewhere around 1:22, it's quite a neat model.

Gag. My bad for thinking this was new Tamiya tool. I'd never seen it ages ago. I didn't even consider checking the instructions at the vendors. Misplaced Tamiya trust. 

While the Tamiya 934 is curbside, I believe it was a new kit with the body based on their 911 Turbo released in mid 2000.

Thanks all, for the info on the Renault wheels.  I bookmarked that Renaissance page.  There is an Ebbro Renault in the stash, so I might try casting a set of wheels from those. The kit's too expensive to rob it just for the wheels.

Here's hoping Italeri has all the old ESCI molds in good shape, like the Mercedes 450SLC rally cars and 190 police car.  They have released a couple of ex-ESCI Range/Land Rovers and an armed version of the Toyota Land Cruiser, so maybe. 

Sort of interesting also that Italeri re-issued the rally version of the Mercedes G-Wagen with "barn doors" in the back, while Revell-Germany re-issued the Firefighting version with the horizontal tailgate/liftgate back doors.

Thanks all, for the info on the Renault wheels.  I bookmarked that Renaissance page.  There is an Ebbro Renault in the stash, so I might try casting a set of wheels from those. The kit's too expensive to rob it just for the wheels.

Depending on which era/version of the Ebbro you decide to build, you'lll have a set left over anyway.
However, it'll always be plain steel wheels, not the Fergat ones of the TS/Gordini.

TBH, I find them more appropriate for a police car.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a3/6c/26/a36c261109229a3c65528b90303f33fd.jpg

AFAIK only the Gendarmerie used A5s.

Image result for renault 5 gendarmerie

Isn't the accuracy and appearance of a model much more important than the method of assembly?

Of course accuracy and appearance are important.  It's a hobby for using your hands and I enjoy the process more than the finished product, but to each their own.  I will probably still obtain one, since its the only game in town and I really like the subject.

• 3 weeks later...