Model Cars Magazine Forum

First new project in years-Rubicon

LOBBS

Bought a kit for the first time in years last night. I paced the rack for about 20-30 minutes looking for a simple project to get myself back in the game that didn't give me the urge to kit bash, scratch build and ultra detail the heck out of it. This pretty much eliminated any pro-touring or modern sports car fodder. I whittled my stash down to about a half dozen or so projects a few years ago. Each has a definite plan in place all with a fair amount of modifications. 

I had the original Tomb Raider diecast that I displayed for years on a shelf at work until a co-worker bounced it off the floor. The only thing that I really remember having an issue with was the fact there was no inner door panel on the tailgate. This should be a fun little curbside to get my skills back in practice.

IMG_20170201_084244.jpg

Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

I'll have to dig thru my hard drive for old pics of my first go with the Rubicon. I can't seem to get into my old Photobucket account. The Jeep was my first attempt at weathering so I'll attempt to improve upon that for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get a base coat of Tamiya OD Green 2 down over to Duplicolor gray primer to get a feel for the color. I'll lay down a few wet coats today. If time permits, the rest of the parts are primarily shades of black and a few stainless pieces so I should be able to get them shot today as well.

IMG_20170218_194231.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why I keep getting locked out of the site for stretches at a time when I try to log in from my phone but assembly is now in progress. Dry brushing some trail damage to the underside of the Jeep is complete. Once I get the wheels on and up on all fours I'll add in some real dirt for more effect.

IMG_20170305_094354.jpg

Final coat of clear on. Second attempt at the body as the cat knocked it over on the final wet coat last weekend. I'm really impressed with the white Jeep decals in this kit. I've had white ones in the past that were printed too thinly and the base coat showed thru. These are strong enough that's it almost impossible to tell that they're decals at all. On my first attempt, I used the black but glad I went with white this time. Plays off the OD Green theme really well. I'm not terribly concerned with a show car finish given it's an off roader but I had a little orange peel that I'll have to polish out so into the dehydrator for a day or two nap.

IMG_20170305_174011.jpg

Cup o dirt that my daughter just brought me. Sure there's chalks and whatnot to simulate muck in scale but nothing looks more real than the real thing. Time to grab the strainer and keep the finest silt and get some filth on the chassis of the Jeep.

IMG_20170305_175543.jpg

• 3 months later...

Looking much more like a Jeep. Unfortunately, I ran into an issue on Thursday night with binding as I slipped the body over the chassis that is causing the body to balloon out. Being out of town Friday and Saturday, I didn't get the Jeep done in time for the Heartland Nats today. Oh well, I have a chance now to build the custom roll cage and light bars I wanted instead of the kits pieces I was going to use to make the show.

IMG_20170611_104546.jpg

IMG_20170611_104606.jpg

Edited by LOBBS

love this jeep! I cut the doors out tho...i'm doing a post apocalyptic theme to mine....more a get the BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH outta dodge type....looking for taller and wider tires and better rims...the stock ones are good, but i'm thinking they are a bit small.....

Body meets chassis for the first time. Turn signals and tail lights all that's left for the body itself. The roll cage that comes with the kit is an awful representation of the one of the Jeep from Tomb Raider. Not sure yet if I want to build a Poison Spyder cage or use the main hoop from the kit and build out the rest of the cage properly. No one makes a 50" LED light bar in scale so that may be my first venture into 3D printing. Need a hook for the winch on the bumper and tow shackles for the bumpers as well...And I told myself this was going to be a quick little project outta the box to get my skills back into shape ?

Oh and it needs dirt and mud, a camp/tent bag and a sleeping bag for the back seat...

IMG_20170618_113640.jpg

1155663510_CRq79-S.jpg

BRT-JTJ-19-S-d.jpg

Looking sweet!! -I'm a Jeep lover, AND owner. Like how you figured out how to get a bedliner look -the entire body of my 1:1 Jeep has been bedlined, and when I decide to build a model of my jeep, that'll help, so thanks for the how too!  Since I'm a veteran, I also love the color choice!  -Very well done!!