Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modern Top Fuel Dragster Front Wing Parts

jlucky

Greetings,

I hope someone out there can help me. I build drag cars and I'm wanting to add to my Top Fuel dragster collection, but none of the kits have the correct front wing assembly. I'm referring to the current set up that has the wide one-piece front wing sitting out front of the wheeIs. Is there anyone in the after-market that makes this? That would be the easiest. Barring that has anyone out there made this set-up from scratch? I appreciate any help that can be provided. Cheers

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for posting this issue. I've got at least half a dozen projects on hold due to not being able to replicate the front wings ;) And my scratchbuilding attempts have been woeful :wacko:

Not seen any aftermarket kits to modify this area and the only modern (post 2005) Top Fuellers I've seen modified were by Clay Kemp on another forum. 

If you want to see pics of 2 of his builds to give you some ideas, check out

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=944205&page=4 Hillary Wills' 2007 TF Dragster

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=562945 Cory Mac's FRAM TF car.

The first pics on both pages are of the front wing area.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your build.

Andy.

The Australian resin company The Parts Box has one, it's a resin wing and material for the end plates and you have to manufacture the mounting points yourself...the wing is a bit wide but can be cut down.
They also have 3-element rear wings...all the Revell kits only have 2-element wings but the racers changed to 3-element in the mid 90's so you need 3-element wings to do a modern Top Fuel Dragster too.
The part number for the wings are 1158 for the front wing and 1159 for the rear.

http://www.thepartsbox.com/store/index.php?page=browse&action=list&orderby=DESCRIPTION&group=6&cat=7

Edited by Force

Hey guys

Thanks for the tips...great photos of the frame rails...that will take some time...but also great tip on The Parts Box...I've been in touch with them already. Not only do they have the front T/F wing...they also have resin zoomie headers! I've been looking for those for ages. Really appreciate the help.

Revell was out of sync when they did their then new TF kits, first they did the Don Garlits Swamp Rat XXIX wich was one of a kind as no one followed with the style but it was quite correct, a couple of years later they did Joe Amato's Valvoline Dragster, the Late Gary Ormsby Castrol Dragster and Lori Johns Jolly Rancher Dragster, they pretty much had to start all over with new tooling as almost nothing was usable from the Garlits kit but they were correct for the time when they came out.
After that Revell didn't keep up with the fast evolution in the Nitro Classes during the 90's and didn't update enough when they did the following kits, they updated the tooling some when they did the Darrel Gwynn Mopar Dragster, the Eddie Hill Pennzoil Dragster, the Christen Powell Royal Purple Dragster, the Joe Amato Superman Dragster and the Shelly Anderson Parts America Dragster, they did some more when they did the last two kits from this tooling the Kenny Bernstein Budweiser King Dragster and Tony Schumacher Army Dragster back in 2002, but not nearly enough for them to be correct.
It's unfortunate that they didn't care to upgrade them to the correct specs back then, because if they had they would have been pretty much up to date even by today's standard 15 years later as the visual changes after that on Top Fuel Dragsters has been quite small.
The most visual things they had to change except for what they did was to fix the front and rear wing configuration, change the Mallory Super Mag style magnetos to larger MSD Pro Mag 44 magnetos, do a set back 14-71 blower configuration in bag, change the Enderle style fuel pumps to Sid Waterman style Mega Bertha pumps, change the cast aluminum valve covers to sheet metal titanium valve covers with spark plug covers, do a belly pan, do a shield over the back of the roll cage and new wheels...not that much huh.
Now later they could possibly have done a "Schumacher canopy" and/or a larger wind screen...preferably both so one can choose the style.

Edited by Force

• 5 months later...

Thanks guys,

Hakan, I appreciate the tip about the parts Box in Australia...I placed an order and while it took a while to get to Canada...they are great folks with some really nice resin pieces. Besides the front wings I picked some new TF fuel pumps and puke tanks and a few other bits and pieces. As I said...great folks I recommend them. Thanks again for the tip.

Now I need to find someone who makes a DSR Top Fuel canopy. Any tips?