Model Cars Magazine Forum

1.1 cars that got away

The first car I owned was a 1962 MGA. Lovely car, fun to drive, and almost as eccentric as its owner. There were about half a dozen things you needed to know before you could even start it.

'58 MGA roadster two years in college Tucson to Safford then Tucson to Flagstaff, in the snow, fun , fun, fun, 

like I said I have had over 30 vehicals that I have sold or have been stolen,but I have kept my favorite, a 70 chevelle ss with a blown 427,i bought it stock in 1980, I love that car more than anything,and consider it my son.i am 55 and that chevelle will never leave me

Oh, so many:

My first, 1972 Buick Skylark Custom, 2dr hardtop.  350-2bbl, TH400 tranny (the original TH350 burned out)  Ended up junking it because the frame rusted out.

1977 Olds Cutlass, 350 4bbl.  Got to drive it 3 weeks after getting it goiing before it blew out both head gaskets.

1978 Monte Carlo, 305 2bbl.  Drove it for a couple of years.  Finally spun out about half the rod bearings.

1969 Dodge A100 van, 225 Slant 6 2bbl.  Ran beautifully until someone spiked my gas tank.

1990 Crown Victoria, fuel-injected 5.0 litre.  Was starting to wear out after driving it for several years, let the insurance take it after s stupid kid caved in one of the rear quarters.

1998 Cadillac Deville Concours, 4.3 litre Northstar.  It was a Northstar.  Heads cracked after it popped a water pump.  Traded it in on my current Malibu.

Yeah, they were rusty and crusty, but I miss every one.  I'd take back the Volare if I could attack it with a sledgehammer.  :)

Probably near the top of the list would be my '66 Buick Wildcat coupe, red, black vinyl top with white bucket seat interior and factory wire wheel covers. Gorgeous looking and great highway cruiser. Traded for a '61 Catalina bubbletop, which I also miss.

There are others but the one I miss the most was a '59 Pontiac Star Chief Vista purchased in 1980 for $1,100. No rust, 21,000 original miles. Sold in 1988 with 43,000 miles for $3,500.

59_1-vi.jpg

59_2-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke

This one. Well, not this exact one, but one just like it, brand new. I hated my decision for decades. Now that I'm a lot older, and don't really feel like a manual trans, it doesn't hurt much. 

Image result for 71 De Tomaso Pantera

Literally my favorite car in my favorite color...  I'd still be crying if I had that an sold it.  My uncle had this exact car and it was the 1st time I ever went over a hundred....  I was 12 or so I guess.  I have coveted this car ever since.  He sold his too.  I'm not sure he regrets it, given the plethora of cool cars he has had since.  But for me...this is the one.  This is my #1.... This is my lottery car.    

I have a whole list that I wish I had back, but when u look at prices now, this one for sure. 1970 ss454 (ls5), my high school ride in 1973. My older brother moved back to town and told my parents what I had, they made me sell it, got 1200.00 for it and it was totaled 2 wks later. I bought a brand new 1974 Pinto! The challenger was a 1970 440, 5:13 dana rear

DSC03712.JPG

DSC03713.JPG

Edited by signguy2108
remove pic

Three more which come to mind :

1.) 1973 Challenger Rallye 340 . This car was the next (short) block over from my home in Whittier . It was F8 green with F8 green interior ; 340 (obviously) , auto (console) , 3.55 Sure Grip , AM/FM 5 speaker Multiplex Stereo . Backlight Defogger . 95% original paint . Two fine cracks in the dash pad (typical California stuff) . "Driver Quality" paint . Asking price was $3,600 ( in 1989 ) , and the seller (original owner) would take $3,000 (a screamin' deal !!) . Well , I only had $1,000 saved for a car , so that was a no-go . Of course , after-the-fact , my dad says to me , "I would have loaned you the rest . You didn't seem like you were interested in the car though !" ( I was certainly interested , but the price vs. budget put a frown upon my already-Celtic-stoich face ...)

2.) 1974 Monaco "A38" ( Police Conversion Sales Code ) , DK41L4D . This ex-CHP car was sitting by the maintenance shed at Rio Hondo College ( also known as "USC" : University South of the Cemetery ) , in washed-out 999 Black / 999 White livery --------- exactly like the coveted Bluesmobile !   I was able to find the Groundskeeper one day ; the gate to his yard was open , so I walked in . He was busy , so I shot a glance at the car's V.I.N. , pleasantly surprised to see the telltale "DK41" ( "D" = Dodge Full-Size ; "K" = Police Model ; "41" = 4 Door Sedan ) , but the engine code ( "L" = 245 hp 360 , albeit in ultra-heavy-duty form ... and the CHP-spec cam grind ! ) was slightly offputting ( at that time ) . Surprisingly , the car was running and operational . The Groundskeeper fired that 360 off and it roared to life instantly , its special cam emitting a healthy "rump-rump-rump" through the "A38"-specific mufflers . I drove the car a short distance , and it ran okay. The asking price was $800 ( !!! ) , but that was about $801 more than I had at the time :( .

3.) 1971 Coronet Wagon . What was so special about a Coronet Wagon ? Oh , just the fact that it was equipped with the 300 hp 383 Magnum ...

...backed by a factory 4-speed ! This car was at 101 Used Cars  ( ostensibly named after the original routing of U.S. 101 ) in San Diego . The dealer wanted something like $3,500 for it ( in 1991 dollars ) , and it would have been worth every penny . I toyed with the idea of trading my super clean 1972 Swinger for the 'WL45N1A' ; however , "reality" hit me : however could I afford to feed a hungry 383 ? I passed . About a year later I read an article in Mopar Collectors' Guide about a " 1-of-1 , 1971 Coronet wagon with a factory 383 Mag / 4-speed..." ...

...a completely different car from the one that I saw --and passed on-- only one year prior :angry:,

I have two answers......First the one I could have bought but didn't:  At the corner of highway 29 and Morehead Rd on Charlotte Motor Speedway property sat the NASCAR shops of Harry Hyde. They had a bunch of old race cars at the back of the yard. This was 1974 or so.....a buddy of mine and I had skipped school and went race shop visiting for the day. We had seen a Dodge Daytona, still fully painted and numbered, sitting at the back of the yard the last few times so we stopped and walked into the open yard. After a few minutes a fellow walks up and says he the shop manager......were we the guys that called about the car. We said no we were just looking and then he said if we had the $2000 cash we could have it....he was tired of the other guy never showing up. Well I literally had a car and less than $5 to my name.....might as well have been the million it'd be worth today......but I still think of that as the one that got away........how I wish.....

The car I owned and let get away.......

I bought a 1970 Mustang Sportsroof from another buddy. It was 1973 and he wanted $600 for it......it was a very nice car.....A/C, auto P/B, P/S etc. I had to get a loan for $500 from the folks......kept it for many years. Then in 1978 I owned my 66 Mustang, the 70 and I bought a new Fairmont for $2800. One had to go.....I made the right pick.....I still have the 66 Mustang......but wish I had toughed it out and kept her. The guy I sold it to wrapped it around a phone pole 3 weeks later.....I felt like I had failed 'Orange Tang'......The 70, me and my girlfriend.....now wife of 38 years at Myrtle Beach 1974.

MUSTANG1970.jpg

I have two answers......First the one I could have bought but didn't:  At the corner of highway 29 and Morehead Rd on Charlotte Motor Speedway property sat the NASCAR shops of Harry Hyde. They had a bunch of old race cars at the back of the yard. This was 1974 or so.....a buddy of mine and I had skipped school and went race shop visiting for the day. We had seen a Dodge Daytona, still fully painted and numbered, sitting at the back of the yard the last few times so we stopped and walked into the open yard. After a few minutes a fellow walks up and says he the shop manager......were we the guys that called about the car. We said no we were just looking and then he said if we had the $2000 cash we could have it....he was tired of the other guy never showing up. Well I literally had a car and less than $5 to my name.....might as well have been the million it'd be worth today......but I still think of that as the one that got away........how I wish.....

The car I owned and let get away.......

I bought a 1970 Mustang Sportsroof from another buddy. It was 1973 and he wanted $600 for it......it was a very nice car.....A/C, auto P/B, P/S etc. I had to get a loan for $500 from the folks......kept it for many years. Then in 1978 I owned my 66 Mustang, the 70 and I bought a new Fairmont for $2800. One had to go.....I made the right pick.....I still have the 66 Mustang......but wish I had toughed it out and kept her. The guy I sold it to wrapped it around a phone pole 3 weeks later.....I felt like I had failed 'Orange Tang'......The 70, me and my girlfriend.....now wife of 38 years at Myrtle Beach 1974.

MUSTANG1970.jpg

Being a lifetime Californian,  I am amazed at the prices you guys bought and sold cars for back in the day. That Sportsroof would have been worth $2k easily here in 1973 if it wasn't rusty. Spent a lot of time shopping for Mustangs with Dad around that time. Most already had crappy paint and a cracked dash pad.

If only..................................my 1973 GTO, one of only 4806 built, and a second one only 100 numbers away as a parts car, two 1969 Mustang fastbacks, 65 and 67 Mustang fastbacks, the 67 being a 390 car, and my 1985 GMC K3500 that I bought new and drove into the ground, only to start a ground up resurrection of it with all new sheet metal, running gear and a crate 502 engine. All of them went bye-bye when I built my new house and had to empty my 5000 sq. ft. garage/toy box at the old house! The GTO, I owned for exactly 30 years to the day...........miss her most of all.

Being a lifetime Californian,  I am amazed at the prices you guys bought and sold cars for back in the day. That Sportsroof would have been worth $2k easily here in 1973 if it wasn't rusty. Spent a lot of time shopping for Mustangs with Dad around that time. Most already had crappy paint and a cracked dash pad.

Well....it was a blessing AND a curse.......I found the receipt for my 66 Mustang the other day throwing out old papers.......a 2+2 car, 279/289 and top loader 4 speed trans. NO RUST....average paint. $800.

Part of the reason is this was still the old south. Funny thing I moved from SoCal in 1969 to NC.....and I was thrown into what seemed like the 1920's!! NO one had any money. That went on for a number of years before things caught up with us.

I was cool!!!!   NOT!!!

ME66.JPG

TODAY.......

66SMALL.JPG

Edited by Dave Van

1963 Plymouth max wedge sport fury convert.  Bought it new in 63 right off the show room floor - with no warrantee.  426 max wedge cars did not come with a warrantee.  I believe it was 1 of 8 built this way.  Ran a best of 12.41 @166.88mph back in the 60's.   

'64 Pontiac Grand Prix, red with black interior.  The car I learned to drive in, it was mom's grocery getter.  Dad offered to sell it to me when I turned 16 but I couldn't scrape together the cash, went for a '66 Corvair for $400 instead.  Kind of wish I still had that one too!