Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car (Photos Restored)

David G.

Such an imaginative build, and so very well done, THIS is modeling at it's best..

Thank you Dale, it's kind of you to say so.

This looks like a fun build and it cane out with better proportions than the Fallout prototype!

Thanks Mike, I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

Quite the imagination.  Build looks fantastic!

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you like it.

Cool idea... I love Fallout too!!! Probably my favorite games I've ever played..

Thank you Derick, right now I'm bouncing back and forth between Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition.

David G.

To fricken cool. I like how the whole theme just works ,,especially all the under chassis details . And the turbine idea works really well with the overall shape of a 58 impala back end

Although I have a feeling that rear license plate wouldn't last long on acceleration

I agree and I would not be tailgating this guy!

Outstanding...!    I did not see the W.I.P. on this, but one can only imagine the amount of work it took to make this happen. I am amazed how the combination of the 2 cars you chose works so well together for this project.   You did such a great job with this and made it believable...!   As DeeCee said.....

Such an imaginative build, and so very well done, THIS is modeling at it's best..

This kind of creativity is exactly why I love this hobby so much...!  

Thanks for sharing ...!

I agree and I would not be tailgating this guy!

Thanks for your comment Donald. For the rear steam vent I imagined something more like a street vent in New York City and less like a jet thruster. The diffuser veins would dissipate and bleed off much of the force.  After all you wouldn't want to boil the paint of the hood of the car behind you... or would you? :D

Outstanding...!    I did not see the W.I.P. on this, but one can only imagine the amount of work it took to make this happen. I am amazed how the combination of the 2 cars you chose works so well together for this project.   You did such a great job with this and made it believable...!   As DeeCee said.....

This kind of creativity is exactly why I love this hobby so much...!  

Thanks for sharing ...!

Thank you Dave. Here's a link http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/24639-1958-chevy-proton-finished/ to the progress thread. Sorry for the URL but I can't seem to get the link feature to work right now. Again, thank you for your kind comments. I have put a lot of work into this and it's good to know that it was worth the time.

Cool concept!

Thank You Chris.

David G.

Really cool idea and very well executed!  I want one in my driveway along with my flying car.

Thanks Hugh, I'm glad you like it!

A flying car though, Hmmm...

Beeeechin,' David!   Outstanding job!  You mated the '56 & '58 very nicely.  The concept is over-the-top!  The execution is great!  

I just have one critique:   In this case, wouldn't it be a "seventh brake light?"    ;)

Thank you Danno! OK, I'll give you that one on the brake light. :D

Looks great. I love seeing builds with a back story.

Thank you Garrett. I like to make them believable at least on some level.

David G.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark!

Will you be at the ModelCon Saturday? If so, maybe I'll see you there.

David G.

I am thinking about it.  I thought it was just a swap until recently,  so did not plan for it.  It is about an hour drive for me,  and it depends on how my wife feels,  she just had all four wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. 

I am thinking about it.  I thought it was just a swap until recently,  so did not plan for it.  It is about an hour drive for me,  and it depends on how my wife feels,  she just had all four wisdom teeth extracted yesterday. 

Youch!  I had that done a few years ago, I can sympathize.

I'm in the process of going back and restoring my old topics that were damaged by the Photo Bucket Phiasco. 

This one is now refreshed for your enjoyment.

Thanks,

David G.

Edited by David G.
Photo Update

• David G. changed the title to 1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car: Finished (Photos Restored)

Hello Everybody!

As some of you may know, I've been going back over my old threads and updating old photos and replacing broken photo links. To say that there is a lot of work involved in such a project is a bit of an understatement. 

To get things just the way I want them, there are some threads that I will go back to and redress more than once. This is one of those threads and hopefully it's done now.

Thank you for your patience and I hope you enjoy.

David G.

• David G. changed the title to 1958 Chevy Proton- A Fictional Nuclear Powered Car (Photos Restored)
19 hours ago, MeatMan said:

As much time as I've spent fighting the raiders at the Corvega plant I never thought to do something like that!

Awesome project, and excellent work!

Ah, a fellow Fallout fan! I love raiding that Corvega plant. It's almost like a game of its own. I usually clear out Jalbert Brothers Disposal first and use that as a forward base.

Thank you for the kind comment Dennis.

4 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

media-5.gif.c7cb618b9bea8b9f4219ef61414a73ab.gif

media-6.gif.e3d49a639387ae44bdcd30eb5493482f.gif

I think that this is the first GIF comment I've received.

"1.21 Gigawatts?!?"

If I remember correctly, at the time I was thinking of how much horsepower it would take to move a 1956 Chevy Nomad with two fifty-gallon tanks of water and a lead shielded reactor added. According to my research a 1956 Chevy Nomad wagon, on which this car is based, weighed a little more that 3,000 lbs. To that we add 100 gallons of distilled water (8lbs. per gallon for 400lbs.) and associated storage tanks and plumbing which I estimated at an additional 100lbs. For the powerplant itself, I just swapped out the weight of a Chevy 283 engine and automatic transmission at an estimated 750lbs. Together and that adds up to an additional 1,250lbs. more than the stock '56 Nomad or about 4,300lbs.  My 1971 Delta 88 weighed just a little less than that and got along just fine with about 300 horsepower at about 445 lb-ft of torque.

I figured all that in horsepower because I live in the USA. :D To convert to gigawatts, we should first convert the horsepower rating to kilowatts. Horsepower is not really a set standard but more of a range in which 1hp is roughly equal to .75kW. This works out to about 225kW.

That's works out to a disappointing 0.000225 GW. I think Doc Brown has me beat. :( 

Thanks for your comment Patrick, I got a chuckle out of it.

David G.