Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:18 E Production MGB Roadster

Hi Ted,

If you do build your own vacuum forming machine would you please consider doing a build post/thread on it, please. I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing what can be done.

And yes, Impalow has a lot to answer for! :-)

Cheers

The rear springs were much to long so they had to go.  The tough part was Corgi joined the differential with the springs with huge squares of plastic and then drilled holes to screw the assemblies onto the chassis.  I had to glue in some scraps, cut the rear end from the springs and carve away everything not wanted.  Good thing I got my Whittlin' Chip back when I was a Cub Scout.

I cut up a bit of aluminum to make springs the correct length.

I needed the plastic to begin the roll cage.  The front and rear hoop were the only things needed to be bent, all the rest is straight runs.

I had to cut away some of the body in the area of the front hoop ... this is the first I've cut the zinc (or whatever) die casts are made out of.  I was able to do it quite easily on a scroll saw with a metal cutting blade.

SANY0718.thumb.JPG.2be1048b48107f88d58d2SANY0720.thumb.JPG.068df8f5ac05c07551831SANY0725.thumb.JPG.5c661c340dea3ce0bc155 

Edited by tedd60

• 4 weeks later...

Here's Modifier’s AWESOME 1/18th scale racing cars.  His Brit Line up is TYPICAL of his outstanding work.  I hope to get there soon:

Attached are a couple pictures of the MGB trans. and slave cylinder, op rods and dust boot.  The transmission as supplied by Corgi is generally shaped like an MGB trans, but required a LOT of sanding and grinding to get it a little closer.  The butt end of the slave cyl. has been shaped like the the original and drilled for the hydraulic hose.  Yeah ... I know that most of it just can't be seen, but I would really like to get this as right as I can.  This is what I have after two days.

SANY0840.thumb.JPG.ee85cc3f74ab9ad93c60d

SANY0853.JPG

Edited by tedd60