Model Cars Magazine Forum

WW2 Military (or later fire duty) CCKW/G506 Project

Anyone ever notice the similarity between the Revell '41 Chevy pickup cab and these WW2 military truck cabs?  Appears that G506 was the two axle and CCKW was the three axle variant.  I'm thinking of using the pickup cab on the Opel Blitz chassis with a scratchbuilt nose with simple fenders. It even looks like the full-size hood was somewhat cobbled together itself!  Front axle would have to be live too, hmmm...

G-508_6x6_GMC_CCKW-353-2_Air_Compressor_truck_pic1.JPG

G-506_4x4_Chevrolet_G7163_Earth_Auger,_Polesetter_pic1.JPG

85-7202-lg.jpg

I think that is because Chevy and GMC built the military trucks for the army.  IH also supplied some.  They changed the hood, grill and fenders obviously but you could start with the Chevy cab with no problems.  The side view that you show is great to get the slope of the hood.  You'ld have to find some louvers of the right size for the sides of the hood.  Could be a great project!

Thanks for all the suggestions!  Looks like I may be on the right track.  I've seen Charles' fire/brush version with the open cab, very inspiring but way beyond my abilities and aspirations.  Gotta do some research before starting, got the kit on order...and I must try to finish up a couple projects for the upcoming show season (a double-decker sightseeing bus for one)

Yes.  You are on the right track.  All trucks built during the Second World War were Civilian cab and chassis with rugged front clips. All companies did this and coleman generally built the front axle kits to make them 4x4 or 6x6.  Check out OLIVEDRAB.com for more info and pics on them.  http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/cars/ has a front rear and side views in one of their pics.  Should help with the front clip.