Model Cars Magazine Forum

'85 Pontiac Fiero GT

Scalper

I haven't built it but I do have a kit and it seems like something different with many unique parts. There's a white one I always pass on Rt. 9 in Cummington, MA, been under a tarp this winter.

Will add interest for me watching .. :D

In1984, a buddy of mine and I were stationed in England, RAF Alconbury and RAF Upwood.   He brought his red fiero over with him.  It was like driving a spaceship though the small towns.  That car got a ton of looks.  Even had a freelance driver/writer take it on a pretty hard drive.  He said kind thigs about it but had hoped it would do more.  It really was a fun car to tear around the British country side.

Cool project!

I recently found my built MPC Fiero GT with its brushed gloss enamel interior and spray can body. Hey! I was 15 or so at the time.  It was coming apart so I disassembled it.  Hope to rebuild it someday.

Thanks,

• 3 months later...

I'm glad to see you're back after this one. It looks like a good kit and an interesting subject. I looked at the Fiero when it first came out. Problem is I'm 6'3'' and the console held my right arm at such an angle it was hard the shift. Also the top of the windshield was in the line of sight so that was a problem. Still they are well engineered and I have always liked them. Looking forward to see your build on this. If you should change your mind there are many who have put Cadillac Northstar engines in these.    

I had one as well. I put 160,000 miles and 2 engines on it before a got rid of it.  2.8 litre V6 and 4 speed. It handled really well and could sure surprise a lot hot cars of the time. I don't know how fast it would go since it had one of those 85mph speedometers but you could easily bounce the needle of the post. I don't know if you are going for stock, but if so, the engines were red including the intake and valve covers. Neat finned aluminum valve covers.

I can't tell you how many of these I worked on when I first started working in General Motors dealerships back in the 90's but it was a lot. Neat looking cars but I sure hated working on them. lol. I didn't know there were any Fiero kits out there. Will be peeking in on this build for sure Andre.