Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 Chopped Coupe - Street Rod

gasser59

Having been greatly inspired by Dennis Lacy's '25 Tall T thread, I started a similar build with the chopped T body from the AMT 3 in 1 kit. I had a second frame so I stacked the Z'd frame and added the second spring perch in the front to make the whole car lower. The quick change center section is from the Tony Nancy double kit. The block is from the Wild Willie Borsch kit and the transmission is from the parts box. The rear rims are from a friend here on MC Forums, you'll know who you are, and the front 12 spoke were also from a local modeling friend and are resin so I'm not sure where they originated. Ok....onto some pictures.

Frame2-vi.jpg

I was so inspired by the start of Dennis' build,  I jumped right in. He ended up changing his to a coupe and it came out beautifully. Hopefully I won't change directions midstream.

Frame1.JPG

Roller2.JPG

Roller.JPG

Edited by gasser59

It's flattering that one of my projects inspired you! I was looking at pictures of that Tall-T I started out building and kinda wish I had stuck with it but I'm happy with the results as a roadster.

You're off to a great start. Stance, proportions, wheels & tires look wicked!

B)

It will be great to see your version of this classic kit.I very seldom see it built anymore as modelers tastes change toward more modern choices.One of my very first model projects was to take two of these and unchop the top to produce a high top coupe.That was done on the very first AMT release if this kit several decades ago.Thanks for sharing.

Be following your build Brad, looking mighty good! This has always been a little gem of a body and it's great to have both the regular and chopped versions available in white plastic. I have both on the go as WIPs, the chopped version is riding on the DD altered chassis and the tall coupe on the newer Ala Kart fender and frame parts. Great to see these coming back in favour. (Unsure if I'll make it to DSC this spring, hope to...)

Cheers Misha

Thanks alot for your comments fellas. I'm diggin' this build too. Thinking maybe a converted to street old drag vehicle. I saw a cool ride at a car show last weekend and it inspired me to build something similar. I'll post a pic or two tomorrow since its on my other computer.

I hope you can make DSC Misha. Be good to see you again.

Edited by gasser59

Here's the cool looking chopped rat rod type that really spurred me to build this. I'm not making a replica but something similar with a bit more attitude.

RatRodDrivers-vi.jpg

RatRodPassenger-vi.jpg

Plus a shot of a build from last year's DSC built by my friend Marty Kirk from Colorado. I really like this one too but I'm going without the track nose and a bit lower and with even more attitude.

Kirks25YellowCoupe_jpg-vi.png

Work continues today so stay tuned.

Edited by gasser59

Several of the details on your inspiration rod are quite unique including those headers,the brass knuckles in the steering wheel and the lack of glass in most of the windows.That open roof and no interior window cranks( no side glass) either means this is a fair weather car or one water proofed interior with a drain in the floor!It's almost funny that he has that cowl vent open for ventilation.

Thanks for following along with this build Tom and Richard. As far as the inspirational coupe above goes, it is a fair weather ride. He's a big guy and said he need the top open because the top of his head sticks out. He had on an aviator's leather helmet and goggles.  LOL  Quite a site. No glass except for windshield. I thought the open vent was kind of funny too but if you're riding around in our summer time, you'd want all the airflow you can get. He also said he just got this 3 weeks ago and the only things he had done to it were the temporary vinyl top and the pin striping.

I had a bit of bench time yesterday and was able to get to work on the engine by painted the blower, the four port injector and the resin pulleys which took a bit of clean up and 'turning' with my Dremel to get them in shape. Also spent a bunch of time on the 12 spoke front rims. They needed alot of clean-up before getting them painted. Also cut the roof open. I plan on making aluminum aviator seats and non-covered door panels where you can see the inside. You can also see how I made the bars to the rear axle through the open roof. Here's a few progress shots.

Pullies1-vi.jpg

ChassisThruRoof2j-vi.jpg

ChassisThruRoof1-vi.jpg

Stay tuned. Comments always welcomed.

Edited by gasser59

Spend a bunch of time at the bench today making the spindles for the functioning steering. Using the kit plastic axle, I made the spindles from brass channel, brass tubing and stainless steel tubing all soldered together. The ss tubing is for the steering arms from RB Motion along with their rod ends. These are so strong so this is how I'll do these for all of my builds in the future. I need to order some 0.5mm threaded hex nuts and bolts to finish this off properly. I've been told a place bought the remaining stock from Scale Hardware so I need to get an order together.

Here's a picture of the axle with a black piece of wire holding the stuff together for now. Had to put together a mock up shot too.

Hang with me. Comments welcome.

Axle.JPG

Edited by gasser59