Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 Chopped Coupe - Street Rod

gasser59

Brad... I totally know the feeling you are going thru right now. It will come back and get ya. The model isn't going anywhere. Find something else that strikes your fancy. I know all that I have gone thru with the Vega that once I am done I am going to start a handful or 2 of kits that way when I feel I am getting burnt out on one project I can tinker on something else and then come back to that project that I was getting burnt. I am here for ya Brother!!

Another few items done. I fabricated an alternator bracket out of printing plate and got the alternator on. Will use some black wire for the belt. Also got all of the pulleys in place. In looking at the pictures, I see there's a plug wire off. Here's a couple pictures.

2v2uDMK7rxAhY3V.jpg

2v2uDMKs8xAhY3V.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

After displaying this on the Projects table at our latest club meeting, I put this back on my bench. It is just coming along so nicey. Then I remembered why I put it away before. I can't seem to get an interior floorboard inside the cab since the sides of the cab narrow at the bottom. I cut one from cardstock to use as a template and it won't go in without significant bending. Not sure flat styrene stock will bend that much with the seams it needs to contour the top of the Z'ed frame. Besides, I know the top's open but I really don't want to put the whole interior pieces in through the roof. I've thought about cutting open the doors to allow more room to get the floorboard in. Not sure that will help. It still sitting on my bench, staring at me.

This is a cool build so far! Love those spindle-mount front wheels.

I'd suggest that maybe you need to make a multi-part floor. One part for the seats etc to sit on, narrowed so it can slip into the body, and a perimeter that can be added on later to cover the gap.

Can you make the floor integral with the body? Use a straight edge resting on the frame to mark where the floor should attach to the body.  Maybe start at the rear kick up and work your way forward section-by-section.  The last section would still need to be installed through the roof however.  You could attach cleats to the inside of the body to help align the floor panels correctly.

Edited by afx

On 2/25/2019 at 9:12 PM, Spex84 said:

I'd suggest that maybe you need to make a multi-part floor. One part for the seats etc to sit on, narrowed so it can slip into the body, and a perimeter that can be added on later to cover the gap.

29 minutes ago, afx said:

Can you make the floor integral with the body? Use a straight edge resting on the frame to mark where the floor should attach to the body.  Maybe start at the rear kick up and work your way forward section-by-section.  The last section would still need to be installed through the roof however.  You could attach cleats to the inside of the body to help align the floor panels correctly.

I plan on doing something like both of these suggestions, I'm still working out the details. I hope to have it done for Desert Scale Classic in April. My Archer rivet resin decals came in and I'm stoked about putting them to use. Thanks for the replies, suggestions and votes of confidence. This will get done.

OK fellas.....with alot of measuring, sanding, fitting and fits, I got the interior floor pans to fit. They were made in three pieces, I glued two of them together. I plan on using the sheet styrene I used as a template for some flat aluminum sheet. Still deciding on that. The back portion of the floor pan isn't glued to the rest of it because I don't think it will come out of the body. I glued the angled riser that follows the angle of the frame to the front floor board while they were in the car resting on the frame. Here's a few pictures.

FloorBoards1.jpg

Floorboards2.jpg

Edited by gasser59

Looking very promising my friend.  My personal favorite of your intake options would be the six carb set-up with some interesting fuel line and linkage details. Seats are perfect. It would be neat if someone would post some photos of these seats here in the un-assembled form so we can copy it and make our own versions from styrene or sheet aluminum stock. I look forward to seeing this finished. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a picture without the seats so you can see better. The front floor board and the short angled piece are glued together. The back piece still has to go in through the roof. This means I'll need to glue the seats in through the roof since the back piece has to go in after the front floor board before the seats go in. I'll need to make some tabs or something so I can get them in the correct position.

FloorBoards.jpg

On 3/6/2019 at 4:18 PM, misterNNL said:

Seats are perfect. It would be neat if someone would post some photos of these seats here in the un-assembled form so we can copy it and make our own versions from styrene or sheet aluminum stock.

MCM Forums - where your wishes come true.

BomberSeat.jpg