Model Cars Magazine Forum

Schnappy Hemi

At the moment, I am finishing a lot of older projects, cleaning out my closet so to speak. Even though I am finishing those, I did wanted to start a new build too. A somewhat simple build, good for practising my airbrush skills.

When I held the two body parts together, it dawned on me; it's not a hippe, it looks like a gator! So this is going to be a first for me. Where I am ok with abstract and materialistic airbrushing, I am horrible with living things. I just can not get that done properly.
But, if one doesn't practise, it will not succeed. The plans are made and the goal is set: Create a gator paintjob on the rail-dragster and make it look ok.

aankoop071.jpg

The alignment of the two halves is off and some carefull sanding is necessary. Because the two body halves can not be cemented together before paint, it is key to get it as straight and fitting as possible, before painting and assembly later.

schnappy001.jpg

schnappy002.jpg

schnappy003.jpg

schnappy004.jpg

schnappy005.jpg

When sanding on a part, leave all the tapes in place, except for the part you're working on. It makes the body halves shift as little as possible.

schnappy006.jpg

And finally some putty on the rear quarter panels

schnappy007.jpg

I hope so, my experience to dragsters is, apart from some cars with slicks, none. Therefore I need to learn a lot. And since it will have an exposed engine, I will try to detail it somewhat extra.

First, we have to do the paintjob and I found it difficult, not completely happy with it, but when I asked my boys of 2 and 5, indepently they said it was a croccodile, so I did something right haha.

Thank you Bob! @Dragline

Well, Today I worked some more on the Schnappy, the body was clearcoated and looked ok. I painted the inside of the tubs red, almost starts to look like a watermelon instead of croc, and painted the inside of the wheels red.

After painting the parts, I started assembling the (poorly molded and executed) engine, ofcourse it was hemi orange with black valvecovers, just looks so much better than those chrome covers.

The kit had a clear oil-pan and I thought that gimmick was cute, so I left it. The crankshaft is somewhat funny, looking closely, it looks like a crankshaft for a 4-banger, not a V8. But nobody will ever notice.

The blower was added

And I did a dry-fit to see how things will go.

It is time for detailing, first I made small pieces out of insulation wiring,

Put small wire through them

And we have ignition cables. I thought of a new way to make consistent small pieces and it shows, all the black little pieces look similar and gives a more even look

Hooked it up to the distributor and presto: an wired engine, but that's only the beginning.

Thanks guys! Appreciated!

@426-Hemi; how are they different? I am familiar with the 426 and 392, but not with dragster engines, I noticed the covers were different than the 426 ones, but thought they were what came in the kit and I haven't thought about it being either wrong or misplaced. Maybe you can shed some light on the subject? I am genuinly interested.

Thanks guys! Appreciated!

@426-Hemi; how are they different? I am familiar with the 426 and 392, but not with dragster engines, I noticed the covers were different than the 426 ones, but thought they were what came in the kit and I haven't thought about it being either wrong or misplaced. Maybe you can shed some light on the subject? I am genuinly interested.

I think that he meant the color being "different" as most builders tend to leave them chromed. You have the correct valve covers for the early Hemi that you are building. I have seen these valve covers painted every color of the rainbow. Yours look real good.

One tip. If you look at photos of hemi engines, you will notice that the spark plug boots almost never extend very much above the top of the spark plug tube.

If you trim your boots even with the top of the cover, they would look more realistic, although with the black covers they might not be noticed.

Thanks guys!

@MeatMan; very simple; I got it at Radioshack. For you it's local and for me it isn't quite that local. But that wire has the perfect diameter for ignitionwiring. it is 30-gauge or 0,5mm. It comes in red, white and blue.

@6bblbird; ok, that would make more sense. Maybe I am weird, but I love the look of Hemi's with a satin-black cover a lot better than chrome.
And you're totally right with the boots, I kinda knew, but I decided to do it anyway. <--- why? I am not sure. I shouldn't have.

This is a modelkit with low partscount, just slapping the thing together would be too easy and too quick, so I decided to give it more detail.
I added the throttlelinkage to the blower and added the fuellines to the fueltank.

Because a single fuelline would be unlogical for a dragster, I added 4 more fuellines to the collector and hooked it up to the fuelpump in the front.

Added some seatbelts

And started assembling the askewed frontend. Which is horrbile.

I drilled a few holes in the body and used some wire to hold the frame in the right position and cut the steering linkage in halve, making it possible to get the wheels straight.