Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950 Cadillac - Class of '50 - Graduate #1

Ramfins59

Yes, nicely done! And please tell us how you did such a clean flocking job. I've done a handful of my models with it and I don't really like using it. I learned that by using spray adhesive then rubbing the flocking into the area with my fingers I get a better, even result but it still doesn't look as nice as you've done on this Caddy.... :)

Thanks again for all the great comments guys.

Jeff, there is no spring show this year..!!  I heard from the South Hills Automodelers Club that they have been unable to find an affordable place to hold their show this year.  They say that they will be back at the Castle Shannon location for next year.  I hope all is well with you.  Send me a PM if you want to chat.

Ferby, I use either some Floquil, flat, water based, model railroad paint that I have left (Floquil paints are not made anymore), or, watered down Elmer's glue to attach my flocking.  If I'm using the paints I try to use a color as close to the flocking color as possible.  If the glue is used, I first paint the area to be flocked with a paint color that closely matches the color of the flocking.    Whichever one I use, I apply a fairly wet coat of paint or glue to the part, doing a section at a time.  Not so wet that it runs or drips, but wet enough so it won't dry before the flocking is applied.  Then I pour the flocking into a small strainer.  I put the part on a paper plate and hold the strainer over the part and tap the side of the strainer so the flocking "snows" down onto the part.  I apply about an eighth of an inch thick coat of flocking and let it sit for a moment.  Then I gently press down on the flocking with my finger to push it into the paint or glue,  I again let it sit for a moment then pick up the part and, holding it over the paper plate, I tap the bottom of the part to knock off the excess flocking.  When it's all finished, just fold the paper plate and slide the excess flocking back into its container.  Then let the parts sit overnight to let the glue or paint fully dry so you can safely handle the parts. You can then blow on the parts to get rid of whatever flocking might still be loose.  You should be good to go at that point.  If I'm not totally satisfied with how it came out, since the paint or glue is water based, I'll let the parts sit in warm water for awhile and then scrub them with and old toothbrush under running water to wash everything off, let them dry, and then start over.  Fortunately I don't have to do that very often.  

The same method works for embossing powder except that you don't need to use a strainer.

I hope this method works for you.

• 1 year later...