Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT's Horizon TC3- Loser from the past, out of box!

Faust

Loser cars. If there’s one thing I love to get kits of, it’s loser cars. Most people like muscle cars, Ferraris and other exotics or classic cruisers. Not me. If you’ve seen anything else I’ve built or reviewed, you know I love to hate to love my loser cars.

What’s more amazing that having a great selection of these things as kits? Finding out there’s a model of a loser car I didn’t even know about! Recently, it was brought to my attention that there was a kit of a Plymouth Horizon TC3. AWESOME! I knew about, and have several, of the Omni 024, it’s Dodge stablemate, but I was amazed and intrigued to learn of the Horizon. I hoped to find one, one day.

Then, thanks to the power of the internet, I was contacted by someone with one, and I was able to swiftly acquire one of these gems! It’s rare to have such a short turn around between discovery and purchase, at least for me, since I try to always avoid ebay! 

I was very excited to get it, so I had to review it quickly. So here, then, is an out of box review for a long-forgotten leader among the losers, the almost kinda cool, but still intrinsically lame, Horizon TC3. Many thanks to F-J for his help and passing this one on to me. You rock, man!

Check it out to see how bad things got; don’t forget, there were MULTIPLE companies kitting this thing!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/amt-125-plymouth-horizon-tc3-oob/

tc3-oob-002.jpg?w=350

I won't say they were 'loser' cars. Many of these cheaper cars from the 1980's wound up as cheap race cars in SCCA IT racing (Improved Touring). I have a few Rabbit's, Scirocco's, and a Citation X-11. Some cars (RX-7's, BMW M3's, etc) do make better race cars than others. A TC-3 or an 024 would make great additions to an IT line up. 

I get the email updates, so I read your review befoire I got here.  Learned a lot more about the Omni family.  I didn't realize these started so early.  Thanks for the 'loser" designations.   We need more "malaise era" cars in model form...  And great to read about kits I had and didn't have when I was younger.

Wasn't this car also sold as a Dodge Chargette?  Um, I mean "Charger"?  That was probably the poorest representation of the famous muscle-car name. :angry:

The Dodge version started out as the Omni O24 coupe, then became the Charger in '83 IIRC.   Plymouth's TC3 was renamed Turismo around the same time...

Edited by Rob Hall

Thanks to you, my friend, I bought a MIB and also an unbuilt bagged MPC Omni 024 today at a model show! Don't know what I'll do with them, but I couldn't pass them up.

NICE! 

There are so many things you can do with them. You can customize them to try and make them cool (I did that once already... I have to post that still), you can meticulously research them (like me) to make is as good a replica of whatever trim is appropriate, or you can weather them and beater the crud out of them so they represent their last, sad, highschool/college-driver days! Don't forget some trash in the back seats and cigarette ash on the carpet, too, for that choice!

I am, to use a seemingly odd phrase, "tickled pink" that so many people are getting out there and digging up these old oddball and loser car kits. It's time to make people remember there's more than just tri-Chevies and muscle cars out there! If we forget how sad driving got, we'll go back there for sure. 

Have fun with the kits, Gary!