Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Ford Starliner Pre Order

regular guy

It's on the Autoworld store Future Release tab,

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/amt1055.htm

Box has 'Hard Top Customizing Kit'. Puts it in the league with Styline and Advanced Customizing Fords.

How come I have to find these?:)

I don't have a 600 kit stash. I don't have a workbench with a flourescent light over it.:)

Just kidding.

Looked at this latest issue at  Hobby Haven yesterday. From looking at the box it looks as if the special features include : 2x4 & 3x2 intakes and carbs. Optional Torque Thrust wheels and pad printed tires with white walls and raised white letter tires. I still haven't built the ones in the stash is the only reason for not buying it now. I think from what I read the interior is still the stock pattern,  but that's not a bad thing as the stock interior is very nice.

I will be very care full about ordering this one I love the 60 Ford and I have 2 of each of the last 3 release's I really do not think AMT or round-2 has made any new custom parts for this kit the kit first came as just stock then they had a custom kit witch only had the mag's and side pipes and some custom parts for the motor then it was released as both with all the same parts so until someone show's it open and layed out I will hold off.

Man I love these cars.

Same here! It's basically the '59 Chevy done right. ;)

I really wish that Round 2 could have somehow included stock wheel covers for this along with the dog dishes. That's one of the things I meant to order when I made my last placement with The Modelhaus but forgot. Now it's too late. :(

A friend of mine mastered this for Missing Link. DSCF2806.jpg

I am not sure if it is still available, but I plan to build it, as well as my Promolite '60 Fairlane 500 2 door Post Sedan.

I have yet to build one as a Starliner, but I did do a Sunliner Convertible, using a Resin Transkit from Replicas and Miniatures Co. of MD.

2007_0317MEETING31720070015.jpgI had a set of full wheelcovers cast from the Hubley Wheel, which fit the AMT '62 Thunderbird Whitewall Tires. Model Car Garage makes a fantastic Photoetch set for this kit. This kit builds up very nice with very few problems.

2007_0522june320070199.jpg

Get 'em while you can.

Some days I wonder what the model manufacturers thought process is on re-issuing kits.

And this is one of them. I would imagine this will be retailed in the $29 range give or take . One can find this kit in the secondary market for well under $20  all day long. ( bought one a few months ago for $10 still sealed inside. )  And yes I know the manufacturers could care less about the secondary market place. But still ?

Maybe I'm just not familiar with there thinking but to me it would make more sense to bring out something that hasn't seen the light of day , in say the last 20 years for an example. 

I'll use the 72 Chevy pickups as an example. I would think it would be a much better seller than say this one ,,,or the just re-issued Color Me Gone Dodge

Anyone know for sure the thinking behind the scenes on how/why/when  a kit gets re-issued ?

Some days I wonder what the model manufacturers thought process is on re-issuing kits.

And this is one of them. I would imagine this will be retailed in the $29 range give or take . One can find this kit in the secondary market for well under $20  all day long. ( bought one a few months ago for $10 still sealed inside. )  And yes I know the manufacturers could care less about the secondary market place. But still ?

Maybe I'm just not familiar with there thinking but to me it would make more sense to bring out something that hasn't seen the light of day , in say the last 20 years for an example. 

I'll use the 72 Chevy pickups as an example. I would think it would be a much better seller than say this one ,,,or the just re-issued Color Me Gone Dodge

Anyone know for sure the thinking behind the scenes on how/why/when  a kit gets re-issued ?

We who frequent message boards and travel to shows like Toledo and NNL East are only a small fraction of the people who buy model kits.  There are a lot of people who don't know about toy/model shows, IPMS contests, etc. who buy kits off the shelf at Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  The new releases are aimed mainly at them.

This reissue gets you an entire second engine (not just the intakes, but a whole block and everything) that none of the other kits have, so you do get some parts box fodder if nothing else.

And while there are a glut of these kits in their various boxings on eBay at and shows, the kit Round2 did (I just looked at mine) was done in 2008.  9 years seems like a reasonable amount of times between reissues, especially considering this is a particularly nice kit IMHO...

The kit wasn't originally designed as a 2 in 1 so they have to run some sprues twice with different inserts. As a result you end up with enough parts for two engines, both are FE's I forget the cubes. One is a 3 x 2, the other's a 4bbl,   This was the box art from the last time it was done. It was one of the first kits Round 2 did. 

Image result for 1960 ford round 2

Edited by Brett Barrow

The kit wasn't originally designed as a 2 in 1 so they have to run some sprues twice with different inserts. As a result you end up with enough parts for two engines, both are FE's I forget the cubes. One is a 3 x 2, the other's a 4bbl,   This was the box art from the last time it was done. It was one of the first kits Round 2 did. 

imagejpeg

Could have been either a 406, or a 390 both look identical from the exterior.

Edited by horsepower