Model Cars Magazine Forum

Lloyd Ruby's 1970 Mongoose Indy Car

Art Laski

Thanks for the comments, fellas!

Randy, several years ago one of my local model club members reverse engineered some Gunze thinner and made some big batches of it. I used that to thin Tamiya clear blue acrylic about 1:1 and sprayed it very lightly, misting actually. Lacquer thinner may work well also. Thinning it helps get a flatter finish. On plastic parts, I sprayed it over Testors Aluminum Plate Metalizer. On the wingnuts, I just polished the white metal and sprayed right over it. The side panels are some printing plate tin from Brad that I polished up then sprayed over as well.

Edited by Art Laski

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, JC!

Made a wheel that matches the reference shot a little better than the kit wheel. I started with a wheel from another 70's AMT kit.

I tried to make a wheel center cut on a Cricut scrapbook machine, but that didn't work out. So I decided to use some printing plate aluminum my buddy Brad gave me just last weekend. Inspired by how my friend Randy D. uses his files to make parts to perfection, I thought I would give it a try on this. Not perfection, but as good as I could have hoped for.

Polished it up and added some photoetch "bolts".

I also made a shifter mechanism.

Randy, several years ago one of my local model club members reverse engineered some Gunze thinner and made some big batches of it. I used that to thin Tamiya clear blue acrylic about 1:1 and sprayed it very lightly, misting actually. Lacquer thinner may work well also. Thinning it helps get a flatter finish. On plastic parts, i sprayed it over Testors Aluminum Plate Metalizer, on the wingnuts, I just polished the white metal and sprayed right over it. The side panels are some printing plate tin from Brad that I polished up then sprayed over it. 

Man you're really pulling out a lot all the stops with this build Art. Great tip on the blue anodizing process!! Totally awesome modeling here!!

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying hard to finish this build in time for the GSL last weekend, so I haven't made any posts. I did manage to finish it last Friday in my hotel room. Well, almost finished. There are a few things left I'd still like to do. I want to see if I can get a more accurate wheel set up, and I also need to male the fuel buckeyes on the left side of the tub. Here are some shots I manage to take during the push.

When I got the kit, it didn't have any brake discs in it, so I turned a set on my lathe. (It's about all I can do with it :) )

To complete the setup, I made a mold off of the spindle to cast additional brake calipers.

IMG_7290-vi.png

I cut the turbo off and added a Detail Master flange, and also so I can paint it separately.

IMG_7286-vi.png

IMG_7289-vi.png

Here's the intake and exhaust all painted up.

IMG_7294-vi.png

Edited by Art Laski

Added a rear pan made from aluminum printing plate and styrene strip. I found that Testors Ford Engine Light Blue is an almost exact match for the decal blue.

Of course I have Pro Tech braided line throughout, but I added some to the interior per the reference pictures.

Here are some "finished" shots I took in a booth called a Shotbox that were available for use at the GSL. I didn't get the lighting right, so I messed with the pics a little. Still not great.

A couple of notes I didn't show. The tires were replaced with Indycals tires for accuracy. I also used aluminum rod instead of the white metal roll bar so I could polish it up. I used Pro Tech nut and bolt heads for the windshield. I also added what I think is a trans cooler and a tank on the right side, and the turbo inlet.

Thanks for looking!