Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri 1/24 Volvo VN 780

Just started assembly last night; going together well. The best part of the kit: the frame because I always seem unable to get one straight.  I also appreciate the multi-color plastics, will save some time and money on painting areas that are usually hidden under body panels.  The self-adhesive chrome decals are simply stunning.

I have found two major flaws: 1. the top spoiler has a tiny crack and a little piece missing; 2. the battery box is chunked out on the back, mounting pegs gone, cracked, only saw a couple of shards in bag.  Both areas are in repair currently and are salvageable.

Tires and wheels are together, look great. I swapped out the rears for super saver wide tires I bought from an ebay seller. I am surprised the kit manufacturers have not started including super savers, but that would be a major cost for them.

100_3389.JPG

100_3390.JPG

100_3391.JPG

100_3393.JPG

100_3394.JPG

100_3395.JPG

Great start.

Regarding the "super saver" wide rear tires...well I have really never liked the look of them on a tractor...I prefer dual mounted regular tires...it looks more sturdy and truck like...but I'm old and stubborn. ;) 
One big disadvantage with the wide single tire is that if you blow a tire you can't roll on to someplace safe to stop without destroying both the tire and rim, with a dual mount you can still go on slowly and get out of the way if one of them blows.

Cool....I really like these babies.....Very nice looking kit after you get it done....Can't wait to see how you get along on this one....Any ideas on the color? The supers ought to look pretty good on this thing.....The real 1:1's aren't as wide, which is why they look so odd.....But these are wider and will look great once you get them on....Awesome....

• 4 months later...

Great start.

Regarding the "super saver" wide rear tires...well I have really never liked the look of them on a tractor...I prefer dual mounted regular tires...it looks more sturdy and truck like...but I'm old and stubborn. ;) 
One big disadvantage with the wide single tire is that if you blow a tire you can't roll on to someplace safe to stop without destroying both the tire and rim, with a dual mount you can still go on slowly and get out of the way if one of them blows.

You aren't the only one old and stubborn!!! :lol: As a driver, I don't like super singles at all and won't drive a truck with them not only for the safety factor of being stuck on the side of the road and not able to get to an exit ramp like I can with duals but they seem to me to ride much differently as well. I drove a couple tractors from a factory to a terminal for one company I worked for while waiting for a truck assignment, and the ones that had super singles seemed to ride much rougher and also wander on the road more than the same tractors I drove from the factory with duals.