Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 version of my 1/1 Trans Am., , , June '22 ,, Tail light panel

Can-Con

I'll be using 1/25 MPC kits.

Not much to show yet. I'm using the body from an '82 kit as it's a hardtop and all the other MPC 3rd gen Firebirds are T-tops. Other than that, the body from the '82 and '85 kits are almost identical. The only difference I can see it they added the small triangles in the front corners of the side windows on the '85 that were missing from the '82.

Mine has the common vented hood that came in every MPC Firebird kit after '85. I used the one originally in the kit on another build a couple years ago so I pirated one from a '90 kit. Unfortunately, these hoods aren't exactly "square" so the vents and creases aren't centred and don't line up properly with the front bumper cover. You can see in the pic how I added some material on the sides and files some away in places to get it lined up properly. I'm also adding the peak down the center that is missing from the kit parts.

IMG_2125-vi.jpg

My car also has the "Aero Wing" on the back instead of the regular flat wing. This is another part that isn't exactly correct so I'm adding a strip made from the flat wing to correct it. 

IMG_2127-vi.jpg

IMG_2130-vi.jpg

, , And color test shot. It's a current Honda color called "Dyno Blue" . A bit more green/grey tint in real life than in this pic. Close to traditional "navy blue" and very similar to the original paint on the car but in pearl instead of a solid color. 

IMG_2131-vi.jpg

Edited by Can-Con

Always nice to build a model of your own car. A thought on your paint choice since it sounds like you're not 100% on what you have now. I have used some Testors Lacquer paint in just such a project in the past. Their #1836M DeJa Blue is a dark metallic blue used for Danube Blue on a '66 Impala SS, #1843M Star Spangled Blue is lighter but not as light as Marina Blue. They are easy one coat paints if these color are more to what your looking for.

Thanks for the advice David but I think you misunderstood what I meant about the paint.

The Honda color blue on the spoon is exactly the paint I'm using on my 1/1 when I repaint it in a few months. It just doesn't show the true color in the pic I posted.

This pic shows the color pretty accurately on my monitor. 

Image result for Honda color  "Dyno Blue"

Got the hood almost finished and added the missing rain gutters and weather stripping to the side windows. Also glued on the nose and side skirts. 

As you can see from the pics, I still have a ways to go before paint but I still expect this one to be painted before the 1/1 is ready. LOL

IMG 2135

IMG 2134

love it, i have an 85 t/a that im slowly getting back on the road. also building a scale version, the kits definitely have some....odd?... variations. the kit i used has the back seat molded in to the interior and the seats are squared off for some reason. 

• 1 month later...

Your build is looking great. I personally always liked the "Aero" front bumper on these cars. I see what you mean about the blue color. I just didn't realize you were changing the color of your 1:1 and thought you where trying to do an OEM color.

Thanks guys.

BTW, here's a couple pics of the progress on the 1/1 I took today. 

My uncle Arnold is doing most of the welding for me, he's more experienced and much better at it than I am. ^_^

Most of the metal work is in the floor, the outside skin is in pretty good shape for a car that sat so long. Only really bad part is the bottom of the driver's door and that's not a hard fix.

Some may wonder why I didn't just buy new floor pans for it. I would have liked to but I have more time than money and the pans would have cost me almost $1000.oo CDN after tax and the sheet of 20 gauge tin was about 50.

IMG 2142

IMG 2141

IMG 2149

• 1 month later...

Another little update on the 1/25. Finished up the interior this weekend while keeping an eye on the high water levels in the river and my basement. 

The paint is a bit shinier than I'd like on the seats but my old spraycan of dullcoat seems to need replacing. The shades are pretty close though. 

IMG_2154-vi.jpg

IMG_2156-vi.jpg

IMG_2157-vi.jpg

And a mockup with the glass tinted and installed and the interior in. 
IMG_2160-vi.jpg

IMG_2162-vi.jpgBTW, the bodywork is coming along well on the 1/1. I think if I hadn't had to stay home last weekend on floodwatch, we could have had it almost ready for paint. 
I picked up the paint, decals and new window sill felts over the last month so I pretty well have everything I need to finish up the outside now.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd show the taillight panel I've been working on. 
Started with a kit part from a different year and cut out the backup light areas and replaced them with clear stock, then fogged the back with lacquer thinner.

Sanded it all flush and added a couple coats of Tamiya acrylic clear to smooth it all out.

Then I added the bird decal to the center and the grid lines with pinstrip decals , gave it another couple coats of clear.

Not perfect, grid lines should have been thicker but it was the only pinstrip decals I have, but not too bad, I think.

IMG 2171