Model Cars Magazine Forum

Four door or sedan/post interest

I am starting this thread to find out if there are others that have interest in seeing model companies do 4 door or sedan/post model kits. I realize there are resin companies that do certain 4 door and 2 door sedan models.Honestly I'd like to see an actual kitted model of this subject. How well do you think it would sell? And is there a company willing to take a chance on a four door model?

Please feel free to post ideas, opinions, or criticisms. I just want to know if it would be worth it. I think some bodystyles and models are lacking in the model world. Thanks...

Id be ecstatic if they would bring these back out....

71 Ford (LTD) 4 door HT....Hey the 70 Galaxie 4 door sedan sold well so why not..? Id get multiples of the LTD one.

61 Olds 4 door 88

Id love to see the companies bring out some more family oriented vehicle kits...one can only build so many muscle cars before they get a bit old in my opinion...just my 2 cents about it.

I'd like a 2-door post sedan of, starting with the '62-'65 Chevy II.

I agree 100% on this. It would make it a lot easier to build a scale replica of my 1:1 car, '62 Chevy II 2D Sedan :D.

I don't think I'd buy lots of four door model kits. I'm thinking only '62-'65 Chevy II and '80s Caprice would be must haves as four door models but that's about it. I'd like to build both of those just like they were sold here in Finland when they were new.

Edited by W-409

It may be hard for a modeling company to make the business decision to model a four door post or even a hardtop if it would not make profit. Thru history these companies have offered the two door hardtops and convertibles since they were the "glamor" models that everyone wanted but by in large couldn't afford in real life. Revell really stuck it's neck out to offer the '57 Bel Air and 150 two door sedans. These sold well and thankfully they saw enough positive cash flow to justify the '57 Ford two door sedan and then the wagon.  I personally was very pleased with the '57 two door since I had owned one as a young man. This is the point on the four doors, we either rode in one with our parents or we had one in our youth. It is hard to say if Revell or any other company could see a profit if they went to the great expense of creating one. I know that many Commercial or Law Enforcement builders would rejoice if they did, but could they turn a profit??  We remember the Dodge Charger, which was a great kit and had many possibilities and yet try and find one on the shelf. I had to order one just to make a model of our 1:1 2010 R/T. Our best hope would be that Moebius would step forward with such a model  if only because they seem to like to do something off beat and unusual and do a great job of it. Revell has seen success with  the Ford and Chevrolet models so maybe they will give it a shot. Just for myself I think that a wagons would stand a better chance at this time. Maybe if we politely offered suggestions to some of the model companies with the possibilities of what could be made from your suggestion then they would be better able to see if it made business sense for them. Remember they need to make a profit or it just wouldn't make sense to do it.      

So... mixed reviews so far it seems... and there are some great point of views, like  LDO said it would prevent a company from creating something more worthy. And may be wasted energy... because there are alot of cars that have yet to be kitted. Such as a quality vega or chevy luv or maybe something  Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac.

On the other hand, haven't companies tooled models in the past that didn't do so well? The answer is yes and it hasn't caused them to go out of business. I feel that by taking a chance on a 4door model it would show creativity IMO... After all, 4door cars are a huge part of the auto industry. 

Also the existing tools for chassis and other parts is another good point. My thought is pick an existing car and retool a body and door panels, create the box art and decals and see how well it would sell. Alot of possibilities here... police chief, fire cheif, unmarked, FBI, company car, drivers Ed car, family car, just to name a few.

I don't see it happening, mainly because I don't think they would sell in large enough quantities. 

Release yet another version of a Chevelle, or a Mustang, or a Charger, or some other 50s-60s muscle car and it will sell like crazy.

Something different and never done before? The majority of people will pass.

Personally, I'd like to see more station wagons from the 70s and 80s, but that will never happen.

In the meantime, I'll keep supporting the Japanese brands, who do make kits of sedans and other oddball stuff. Just wish they would make more domestic or European cars as well.

I don't see four doors happening because in  most cases the wheebase is different from  the two door. That means a new chassis, interior, and frame. Also a lot of the newer tooling has beensetup to be able to do multiple versions.

I think the post/sedan would be more than likely to happen if the tooling cost can be justified by the potential sales.

When IHOBBY was going on here, I would interview the plastic model companies on future offering "types".  Although this was over three years ago, it likely won't change much.  Four doors and lower range models have VERY limited market appeal, except in very limited circumstances.  If you look at 4-door offerings, you have seen very little:  60's Continentals, 65-66 Chevelle Wagons, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, some SUV's and extended cab pickups as examples.  Lower end models have also been limited and often when associated with some targeted area such as racing:  57 Chevy Black Widow; 56 Chevy Del Ray as examples.

Japanese and European model manufacturers have different audiences and their offerings are primarily targeted towards their home markets.  Many Aoshima and Fujimi four door models are Japanese market variants often with only right drive.  Revell of Germany is coming out with a Porsche Panamera (I know High- end but a four door).  And, in those cases, they do not have all the US NHTSA requirements in the kit. I did a Fujimi BMW M5 about 20 years ago that needed a lot of work to make it a US spec model.  

We on these boards represent a minute amount of the potential audience for kits, albeit we are definitely almost all in the enthusiast category.  But it gets down to marketing choices and making a profit.  Remember, any year may lead to only about 5 new offerings, and that would include major modification of an existing tool.  So, would you rather have the recently released Ford Bronco or a Whatever.  The model companies will chose the one market analysis says is most likely to sell.  Also remember there is competition to the plastic model companies by the diecast makers.  

Each year, we all seem to prognosticate what the manufacturers will offer and then, once known, carp about them not fulfilling a niche or need we have.  It never hurts to throw ideas out, but there are hundreds of ideas for every one chosen to be kitted.  

I look at it this way.  If the manufacturers offerings don't "float my boat", I won't buy.  I will be sad, but glad that at least some modelers are getting something exciting.  If they hit my sweet spot, other modelers will likely not be happy.  

If one would really analyze the U.S. model car market, one thing has to be known.  

For ages, the hardtops and two doors were made, by the manufacturers, into the most desirable models. This way of thinking got into the car buying public in the U.S. conditioning the buyer. It was the "glamour" thing already mentioned, that would actually sell the other models. The two door hardtops were simpler to manufacture than the four door sedans, and could be sold for a lot more cash. Bigger profit in a less volume car. Less profit on a high number car. 

Why did Ford build the retractable top Skyliners? Because it was more practical, because it was super profitable? No, they did it to attract buyers, and not to the expensive Skyliners with a tiny box for trunk. 

In other countries that didn't happen. In my country, for example, the most expensive versions, the most desirable versions were the four door sedans. The Opala Diplomata from GM, The Galaxie Landau from Ford. The Dodge Le Baron or Gran Sedan from Chrysler.  The two door cars were the GT versions, or the bare bones versions of the most expensive cars. The status symbols were the four door cars. In a much smaller market than the U.S., the cars that costed more to make were the most expensive ones. 

Even tough I think the American cars are the most beautiful around, and I'm not a fan of European or Japanese cars, I grew up with a two door sedan Maverick and a four door sedan Landau, so I have way more intimacy with those versions than with hardtops or convertibles. I will buy what I like the most, so I would buy the four door over the two door if available.

The only two door car I have is a pick up truck.

But i'm among the vast minority when buying models is the subject.

From what I can see of forums and boards, the majority of models cars is built altered in a way or another. Less people build them as factory stock replicas, than hot rods and such, and a four door hot rod is seldom seen. 

Also, who buys my kind of car, the big beautiful cars of the 1940's, 1950's, and 1960's is not the young guy getting into the hobby. Around here the young folks get kits of the Toyotas, Nissans, and Hondas they have parked in their garages.The buyer for my kind of car is getting old. And the buyer grew up being conditioned to like two door hardtops, and to dream about convertibles while riding on the back seat of dad's four door sedan. It was all over the media, from dealer brochures to movies. 

In a nutshell, there is a market for making new tool on four door sedans, but not the four door sedans I would buy. I don't want a Mercedes, or a Lexus, I want a '57 Ford, a '32 Ford, a '36 Ford a '46 Ford, a '66 Ford. If in four door versions, well that would be even better. 

Being realistic, the model car makers would have problems selling a big number of Four door sedan '57 Bel Airs (I would buy one as fast as I could get my hands on the kit) or even a four door 210 or 150 for that matter. 

I can't be alone here in believing that a 1984-1990 Caprice 9C1 wouldn't sell like mad ! After all , their 1991-1992 9C1 sold quite well , didn't it ?

Then there's the 1977-1978 Dodge Monaco ( MPC ) ... 1968 Fury I ( JoHan ) ... both A38 models , and both sold well .

As far as longroofs ? I'd love to see a 1964 Chevelle 300 two door wagon , with a 6 cylinder / Powerglide and a hot small block / 4-speed as options .

I've enjoyed reading everyone's input so far. I believe that an experienced model builder would appreciate something out of the ordinary. I myself will build anything no matter what it is. I have an appreciation for models at shows or even on here in the under glass section no matter what the subject matter or car brand.

As far as longroofs ? I'd love to see a 1964 Chevelle 300 two door wagon , with a 6 cylinder / Powerglide and a hot small block / 4-speed as options .

You could put me down for at least one of those. Of course I'd kitbash it into a '65, but I'd buy it. B)

Over the history of model car kits (and our hobby of buying and building them) the overall experience is that 4 door cars have 2 doors too many.  While there are modelers who have a specific interest in 4dr's, I'd be concerned, were I the person making the financial decisions as to what cars to create model kits of.

Art

I can't be alone here in believing that a 1984-1990 Caprice 9C1 wouldn't sell like mad ! After all , their 1991-1992 9C1 sold quite well , didn't it ?

I'd love to see an eighties caprice done but without readily available police car decals I don't think they would sell well enough.

Edited by chitownbri
misspelling