Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Dodge Dart 440 Custom Finally Finished 3-29-17

microwheel

Well good morning everyone. Got a lot done on the dart the past couple of days. I got the glass in, the sun visors, rear view mirror, and dome light install. Then got the body, interior and chassis all mated together. I got the rear bumper assembly glued into place, as well as the hood catch on the radiator core support. I painted, assembled and installed the Chrysler 7 blade photo-etched fan supplied with the MCG photo-etched kit. I painted and assembled and installed the radiator and fan shroud, and detailed it with a photo-etched rad cap and also removed the molded on over-flow line and added a scratched made one out of black wire. Yes I know that the stock radiator on these cars were semi-gloss black, but I wanted more of a custom hot rod look in the engine bay, so it got painted aluminum with the fan shroud gloss black. In the engine bay, I BMFed the heater fan and because Im using MCG hearter hose material I added a connection point for them on the fire wall. I just like using rubber heater hose over the kit supplied plastic ones. I will be using the kit supplied rad hoses though. I just have the unpainted top rad hose mocked into place for now, basically because I was checking it for fit at the time the pic was taken. Using detail masters full working hood pin kit, I had to add a little plastic to the core support so the pins would sit in a location that worked for the hood. I then added the pins themselves as well as the hood pin plates for the hood. I cemented the chrome trim to the hood. I still have to add the hood pin cables and clips yet, but that will probably get done when I get closer to permanently installing the front grill and bumper.  The front suspension is also still just mocked into place for now for the sake of showing you in the pics how the stance is gonna look. I still have a few under car details that need to be added before the front suspension can be permanently cemented into place.

Still got lots more to do to tie all the detail together, but there is finally a light at the end of the tunnel. 

DSCN0864

DSCN0858

DSCN0865

DSCN0861

DSCN0859

DSCN0863

Thanks for looking. Comments are always welcome.

More to come as I get it done

Thanks a lot for all the kind words everyone. I should have one more update, I hope sometime tomorrow, before finishing the dart up. I spent the past couple days getting the engine bay detailed, so I hope to post a update on that if time allows tomorrow. Then I have to get the detail work on the body done, mostly the photo-etched body script and things like door handles mirrors and wipers. when all that is done it will be finally posted over in the underglass board.

Morning guys.

Well the dart is close to the finish line. As promised, this will probably be the last update before the finished pics.

Got the engine bay detailed and the front grill and bumper installed. I also added the hood pin cables and retainer clips. The hood pins do work. I'll show that in the final pics under glass in a few days.

All I have left to do is to get the photo-etched body script installed and then all the chrome work such as door handles, side view mirrors, windshield wipers, and such.

I'll post the pics for today in a few posts since you can only upload 6 pics per post.

DSCN0880

DSCN0878

DSCN0892

DSCN0890

DSCN0868

Next post for final pics of today

• 1 year later...

Thanks davewilly. Been along time since I've been on. Wife and I are on the road full time RVing in our 5th wheel. It's a little hard to build new projects at the moment. Hope to find the space and time to build something new someday. But until then I plan to enjoy watching all the great workbench builds in progress on the site.