Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Dodge Dart 440 Custom Finally Finished 3-29-17

microwheel

Howdy Everyone. Wow has it seemed like forever since I've had a chance to get on the site. Let alone post a project in the works.I think the last projects I had time to post was my pair of 66 novas.

Anyway. This is the subject Im starting on now. Im in the process of collecting all the aftermarket stuff I want and need for it. Also bare with me time wise as the wife and I are in the process of getting ready for retirement and hitting the road late this summer in our motor-home and I still have a ton of stuff to do come this spring to get things ready for it. But its still winter up here in Northern Michigan so while I have time I hope to spend as much as I  can in the hobby room working on this project.

Anyways about what my plans are for this one. I plan to give it more of a late 70s early 80s style hot rod look. Mostly because I was never a big fan of oversized rims or low in the weeds builds for my projects. That being said, it will also be a 440 (not the Hemi version. Im going with a black vinyl top version and the color will be sublime green with black interior.

One thing about this kit that kinda sucked, the decal sheet was damaged so I had to order a new one from Revell and you all know how long they can take to get anything in the mail to ya. I ordered them 3 weeks ago and still waiting.  In the mean time I'll get started on some of the mock ups and paint work. As part of my plan for this project, it will get a custom hood. I had a leftover hood from a revell 70 cuda kit that I plan to graft into the Hemi hood of this kit to get the look I want. I also plan to use the Hemi version rear end and leafs from this kit to get the stance I want. I will be scratch making a set of headers for the 440 and modifying the duel exhausts to mate to the headers.

Anyways this will give you some idea of my plan for this build.

I hope to have some progress pics to post in the next day or two. So if your interested, stay tuned.

DSCN0272

Edited by microwheel

Thanks for the comments guys. Great to be posting again.

The Paint I'm using is Model Masters Lacquer decanted and air brushed, but it is a base coat clear coat system. I worked on prepping the body and custom making the hood today but forgot to take pics of the process. I was in a hurry to get the body ready so I could prime and get some base color on it. I'll post a few pics of the finished hood and base painted body tomorrow. Sill have to wait on the decals from Revell before I can clear coat it. Oh well good thing there is a ton of other stuff I can work on while waiting for decals lol.

Even everyone. After letting the paint set for a few hours I decided to take a few pics this evening. at least you can get an idea of the work done on the hood as well as the over all color. Keep in mind this is just the base coat with no clear coat and I havent color sanded it out yet. I did make a panel line wash out of Model Masters water based Acrylic green zinc chromate and apply it to the panel lines.

Here is the modified hood side by side with the stock GTS hood. I painted both just in case I ended up not being happy with how the modified hood looked. But I feel it worked out better than expected.  The modified hood was made by cutting out the center of the dart hemi hood in a manor that left a 3/16th of a inch frame on both sides and across the front. Then the leftover hood from building the revell 70 Hemi cuda kit was cut to fit the area removed from the dart hemi hood. A little body putty was used to blend it in and then the hood was sanded and painted. The pics show the results.

DSCN0294

DSCN0292

Here is the hood sitting on the body with the grill mocked up in place.

DSCN0298

DSCN0305

The holes you see in the body are marking points for the photo-etched script that will replace the molded on script that I sanded off during the body prep work.

DSCN0310

Sure hope the replacement decal sheet gets here soon I really need the black bumble bee stripe for the back end so I can get this thing clear coated.

Anyways thats it for tonight. Stay tuned and thanks for looking.

I dug some wheels and tires out of my parts box. I wanted to give the dart a mid 70s to early 80s street rod look. Back in my youth the young guys still in school or just out of school and maybe only working part time while still living at home or maybe they only had minimum wage jobs ( in other words didnt have alot of money but still wanted their weekend cruiser hot rods) would put together a hot rod on a budget, Goodyear G60s were pretty common to see on the back of their hot rods back then so thats what I waned for rear tires. It was also pretty common for the kids to slightly raise the rear ends giving there hot rods a little bit of rake from front to back.

I'll be adding white lettering decals from fireball modelworks later

DSCN0312

DSCN0317

I ended up removing about 1/32nd of a inch out of rear hemi version axle tubes on each side to allow for the rear tires to fit under the body so I wouldnt have to trim out the rear body wheel arches. This worked out really well. After modifying the rear axle I went ahead and assembled the leafs to it. The rear end isnt complete yet but this gives me enough assembly to be able to do chassis mock ups as I need to for other chassis assembly and detail work. I just popped the rear wheels on temporarily to give you a idea how they will look and fit.

DSCN0321

More to come as I get it done. Thanks for looking.

Hi John Yup Im well aware it does. but I didnt want to spend close to 30 bucks for another kit just for headers that I can make myself for a lot less.

I understand that . For some reason , I couldn't remember whether or not the 2-in-1 1968 Dart GTS / Hurst-Hemi release included the U/C headers from the Landy kit ---- it's been a while since I've checked my stash .

Those 'Cuda scoops do look great on that car ! Nice job , man !

Last update for this evening.

I assembled the main engine block halves and the heads together and then sanded the seems so they would be ready for paint. Then tacked on the oil pan and resin aftermarket mopar valve covers with model aircraft canopy glue so I could remove them later for detail painting. this allowed me to drill the mounting holes in the heads for the scratch made headers. I used acid core solder to make the headers. (yes I know, not the best to use) But to get rid of the acid core, I used a thin piece of piano wire and after lightly heating the solder up with a cig lighter, I slid the piano wire through the solder pushing out the acid core. It took reheating the solder a couple of times to get all the acid core out, but it worked. Then I created a couple of header flanges out of thin sheet stock plastic matching the holes I drilled in the heads. Then cut the solder into 8 even straight lengths. Then slipped four of the solder pieces into each head. After several times of bending and test fitting I epoxy glued them together. I had the headers basically the way I wanted them. Then I used some wire heat shrink tube and some plastic round stock to make the collectors on each header. I then worked with the kit supplied 440 stock duel exhaust and cut it to match up to the headers.

DSCN0322

Drivers side header completed and painted

DSCN0324

Passenger Side header completed and painted

DSCN0329

The headers and exhaust will mate up perfectly once the headers and exhaust is permanently mounted. Everything was a little loose during the mock up for the pics. that and the chassis is a little bowed, which straightens out when it mounts under the body. That's why you see a little gap between the headers and exhaust.

DSCN0332  

More later as I get it done. Thanks for looking.

Edited by microwheel