Model Cars Magazine Forum

How can I get this exact finish on my model wheels?

I'd like to replicate the finish on these spokes and center hub on some model wheels but don't know what paint etc to use.  I'd like your recommendations, but if possible, I'd also like to see your wheels to see how close you got to what I'm after.

TIA to any who can help on this.   

ttw.jpg

Great looking wheels!

there will be a lot of correct answers based on different preferences...   these are my go to favorites

For the rough cast texture on the center - Krylon dull aluminum - can be hard to find - some ACE hardware stores have it - good paint, easy to use

For the machined finish on the rim -  most hardware store or auto part store chrome rattle can will have a bright finish, but not as bright as the Spaz stick or Alclad hobby paints - Krylon may still make this in the hobby and craft size.  Looks good for polished or bright machined aluminum finish

Art supply stores sell a brush on masking fluid - different brands have different consistencies so they take some experimentation to find the one that works the best

Edited by Muncie

The rims are obviously polished aluminum, and you're going to need either a "buffing-metalizer" (Testors shown below on the REAR RIMS) or as mentioned (for a brighter finish) Spaz Stix, also available in rattlecans. Look for a YouTube video about using the stuff. You'll be sold. Alclad is airbrush only, but done right, it's really nice too. Videos using the stuff and the results you can expect are also available on YouTube.

The centers in your photo are not as-cast grainy aluminum, but are rather a gloss fine-grained aluminum paint with a clear top-coat. I believe one of the Tamiya silvers is about the finest grained color like this you'll find. 

It's going to be tricky to get exactly the finish you want, as the Tamiya silver may be top-coated with clear to get that effect, but Spaz Stix or Testors buffing-metalizer can NOT be cleared without ruining the effect of polished metal...no matter what you may hear elsewhere. That means you'll have to do some VERY careful masking, and do things in a particular order.

DSCN0568_zps14sp7q8y.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

If it were me.

I would spray the rims with metalizers buffing aluminum finish,,, then hand paint the spokes in testors silver. DO NOT clear them .

The rear wheels on this is just plain metalizers magnesium finish , the fronts are I think aluminum ( car has been done a couple years so I don't remember 100% ) - both then  lightly buffed with a Q tip. No clear

The interior tins were sprayed in grey primer and sprayed with duplicolor chrome to get a polished aluminum finish, again no clear

DSC00827.JPG

DSC00829.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

I'd use flat clear for those spokes. Definitely don't use Enamels as they'll turn yellow during the years, but acrylic clear shouldn't have this problem. Here I sprayed the chrome front wheels with flat clear, pretty close to the look you're after...

DSCN8036_zps2tfpm62u.jpg

I would airbrush the entire wheel with Alclad Dark Aluminum. Then mask the center and put a gloss black base over the exposed outer rim( I use Tamiya TS-14 airbrushed) Then Spaztix Chrome airbrushed over the black

Edited by 935k3