Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recaster Alert

What is sad about this is most of these rip-off recasters sell their products in one place - ebay.  If they (ebay) would follow the complaints about bootleg products and shut down the rip-off guys, this type of business would die very quickly.  It is pretty obvious the people at the 'bay don't care because guys like Anthony Grimaldi keep rolling along.

• 1 year later...
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:32 PM, Chief Joseph said:

Hi Folks,
The eBay seller "meditrans65" is selling recasts of some of my 1/25 Holley carbs and 1/24 5-slot mags.  His quality is atrocious and it's more expensive to buy these BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH pieces from him than it is to buy the real things from me!

The really sad part is that it took me all of 30 seconds to trace him down.  His name is Anthony Grimaldi and he uses the email address "thegameboy56@gmail.com" with the name "onebad slotcar."  He ordered the items he's recasting from me on November 26 of last year, and his mom Jodi paid for them from her PayPal account.  He has three different Facebook accounts, too.  Here's the kicker: he wanted me to give him a discount on the order because he was going to show the items to his modeling group and that would generate more sales for me.  I gave him free shipping on the order because the way he wrote and spelled made me feel sorry for him.  And the thanks I get is that he rips off my hard work.

Other resin casters: this tool is recasting other parts, too.  Don't sell anything to him.

Thanks for looking and keep on truckin' :)

It's tragic this stuff happens, but this has been ongoing in the toy industry since toys were invented.  I've found companies in Mexico and Hong Kong that have replicated 1/25 promos with discerning accuracy.  A die-cast company called Renwal made knock-off forgeries of F&F's first plastic Fords and Mercurys.  A company  in China made clones of the old Matchbox yellow 1956 Ford station wagon, # 31, in polyethylene.  A company in Germany reproduced the original AMT 1953 Studebaker promo, with junk bumpers and grille.  From a legal perspective, automobile styling is not copyrightable and never has been.  It was only in the late 1980s that auto manufacturers began getting greedy for royalties whenever someone asked for blueprints for their products.  I've had creeps photocopy pictures from my books and used them in their marketing efforts, without so much as an acknowledgement, much less a request for permission.  We can either sue these penniless bottom-feeders or consider their attention the sincerest form of flattery.  

• 7 months later...
On 2/21/2017 at 10:40 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Many years ago NNL East had a video done each year. We paid a professional company that did car show videos to film this. We'd sell maybe a dozen copies each year.  As I stood at the show table attempting to sell these, people would say things like, "No Thanks. My club buys one and makes copies for all our members."  So we stopped doing the video.  Wouldn't ya know that a lot of people complained!  Many more people than we sold videos!

On an unrelated note, I'd like to see those videos!  Did you guys ever put them online anywhere, for those of us without a VHS?

1 hour ago, CabDriver said:

On an unrelated note, I'd like to see those videos!  Did you guys ever put them online anywhere, for those of us without a VHS?

It's on the long list of things we'd like to do.  When we were asked to put on a historical display of NNL East at the NNL Nationals final event, that's when I realized how little we have from the first few years.  I attended NNL East 3 as a spectator and was involved with the show from 4 onward, and that's where we have the memorabilia!  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Paul, I saw the Can Am kit on EBAY. Body sort of looks like mine although there was another person doing a body before me. Inside of the body looks awful and the interior and chassis are castings directly from a Jo-Han 1975 Cutlass, not accurate at all for the Can Am. Thanks for the heads up.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

Another Recaster alert!  Hickman6389 recast my GMC conversion parts and has them on the Bay for $40!  Couldn't even do a decent job casting them which adds to the insult!

s-l64.jpg.10b02539dfe3af2ca6b9778a8b88cc2f.jpg  387612445_s-l64(1).jpg.fb3a20ae0c05e9955b13b748f4da86c7.jpg

I just saw that and recognized your grill, dash and emblems. By the quality, I knew that this wasn't from you. Your stuff is top notch! I was wanting to find a 60 GMC  hood like that one though. Do you offer the hood too? If not, do you know who does or did originally. I could tell in the pictures that this stuff had several air bubble holes in it. I wasn't going to order from them after seeing that it was a copy of your stuff. I was just wondering where I could get a hood like this to go with the grill, emblems and engine that I got from you.

Thanks!

Sorry that someone is copying your stuff!

Brian

1 minute ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Sorry that someone is copying your stuff!

Brian

Thanks Brian,  funny thing is, the sob just placed another order with me.  His name is NELSON HICKMAN.  As far as the hood goes, modelhaus had one but they are hard to find.  I was always planning on taking an AMT 60 Chevy hood and modifying it to be a GMC but just haven't had the time to do so.  I wouldn't buy a stamp from this guy!

7 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

I hope you didn’t send him any more products!  

Nope, I cancelled his order.  He has purchased some other GMC stuff from me in the past so they will probably be re-casted as well.  My 305 v6, wrap around bumper, 8ft boxsides, v6 badges, and 66 grill.  He had the nerve to ask for a discount for buying in bulk!

1 hour ago, bill lanfear said:

Nope, I cancelled his order.  He has purchased some other GMC stuff from me in the past so they will probably be re-casted as well.  My 305 v6, wrap around bumper, 8ft boxsides, v6 badges, and 66 grill.  He had the nerve to ask for a discount for buying in bulk!

Charge him an extra "Recaster's Fee"!!