Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee

regular guy

What's the significance of this car?

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/mpc869.htm

It was the 'healthiest' year for muscle cars.

'71 things started to wither and die.

Horsepower and options changed for the worst.

Rulings by national safety board and other stuff doomed the muscle car.

Super Bee was sister car to Roadbunner.

440 six pack is very good option.

What's the significance of this car?

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/mpc869.htm

It was the 'healthiest' year for muscle cars.

'71 things started to wither and die.

Horsepower and options changed for the worst.

Rulings by national safety board and other stuff doomed the muscle car.

Super Bee was sister car to Roadbunner.

440 six pack is very good option.

The significance was that this was the last year that Chrysler offered the high horsepower engines it was known for. There were a few limited editions here and there but nothing was as it was before. Between the Insurance Companies unbelievable insurance premiums often exceeding your monthly car payment, many of the potential buyers were of in South East Asia wearing green. As for the model it's self it a reissue of a kit from long ago that doesn't have the quality that we have all come to expect today. If none of that bothers you then go for it. I've seen some really nice builds using this kit.    

The significance was that this was the last year that Chrysler offered the high horsepower engines it was known for. There were a few limited editions here and there but nothing was as it was before. Between the Insurance Companies unbelievable insurance premiums often exceeding your monthly car payment, many of the potential buyers were of in South East Asia wearing green. As for the model it's self it a reissue of a kit from long ago that doesn't have the quality that we have all come to expect today. If none of that bothers you then go for it. I've seen some really nice builds using this kit.    

Well the body is from long ago, AMT/Ertl mixed in a modern platform interior and chassis/engine in the 1990s.

Thanks for the heads up, I've been after one of these, since I lost my built up version in a house move, I bought it from the Ertl outlet in Dyersville, after visiting the factory as I was writing an article for a magazine about Ertl, you wouldn't believe the hoops I had to jump through to be able to take photos in the factory.

It cost me around $7.00, not bad when i was getting close on $2 to the pound, when I got it home, the bodyshell was bent like a banana, which i  straightened, and it was a pig to build, but I've been after one ever since without paying silly money.

Hopefully I'll make a slightly better job this time around

You're welcome sir.

How about building a mid 60's 'topless' Mopar funny car?

What does this have to do with a review of the MPC '70 Coroner Super Bee kit? 

There is a long-existing review topic discussing this exact kit: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/16132-mpc-1970-dodge-coronet-super-bee/

Edited by Casey

What does this have to do with a review of the MPC '70 Coroner Super Bee kit? 

There is a long-existing review topic discussing this exact kit: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/16132-mpc-1970-dodge-coronet-super-bee/

.........exactly, Casey.....it has always baffled me how topic's and conversation run's amuck on this forum..... frustrating and boring, to say the least.........the Ace...<_<

Cool colors on the box.

That purple was called 'Plum Crazy' and the orange is sort of universal Mopar orange.

The hockey stick stripes on the back of the orange one look good.

The car and the stripes had looks that weren't for everyone in '71. "coke bottle" mopars.

Nice kit.

Good addition would be a 'Wing' car.