Model Cars Magazine Forum

thunderbolt colors

mmdm4

• 2 weeks later...

And the rear seat has fabric upholstery. and I have waited for someone to do the pattern as a decal since the kits first came out as it's not that easy to replicate with paint...but nothing yet. :(

Dsc06477-or.jpg

agreed, Ive tried several times,,,,,and failed miserably several times. Everyone ended up getting stripped to start over. After a few, i just gave up and painted it a flat clear over the champagne gold

The post with the 2 interior shots looking in from the passenger door:

> Top picture looks to be a clone and not a real T-Bolt.

> The lower picture is the #90 car and authentic.  I used to work on this car all the time - several yrs actually and I have many pictures of it inside and underneath.

It was not only the HiPo engines that were black, all Ford passenger car engines were black from 1959-65, the higher output engines had gold, chrome or aluminum valve covers and air cleaners.

The other engines were as I mentioned also black and had different colored valve covers and air cleaners depending on engine size and version, silver, red, blue, yellow were colors used.

Excellent information people.  I learned something about these cars in this endeavor . But ,,,Right or wrong the engine in my Tasca Ford build is blue.. Sorry, but I'm not taking it apart to change it ( it'll never be contest judged anyway)

I just ckd ,,,,,The engine in my Gas Ronda  car are also blue . But,,,,in my defense  it was done  before I really started to use the internet to gather information. And after cking it, i found the engine in my  Hubert Platt car is black. Luckily I had recently seen the 1/1 in person when I built that one

Ive got 3 more in process and will paint the engines in all of the them black. The Bob Ford car ( I finished it tonight  actually ) . I also have a Mike Grey driven Reynolds Ford and the Al Means Ford car of Phil Bonner. Oddly enough once done, all 6 I'll have in the case are 4 spd cars

Ive got decals to do 2 different Butch Leal cars, and the Conner Ford car. I guess I need to round up some more kits for cheap

Edited by gtx6970

Well as long as nobody can prove otherwise with color photos from the time you can use whatever color you like...who knows...the mechanic who overhauled and serviced the engine could have painted it another color ;)...but the Ford engines from that era were black from the factory.
Examples on non factory colors in race cars are the Sox & Martin team, their mechanic Jake King painted the Mopar engines he built Ford engine blue, Smokey Yunick painted engines in many of his cars gold, Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins often painted the engine block and oil pans on his Chevy engines black, Richard Petty often had blue Mopar Hemi's in his #43 car and so on.
On the other hand...you don't see much of the heads and block of the 427 Hi-Riser in the engine bay under the 6 inch intake hoses, aluminum intake box, aluminum intake and chrome valve covers.

Edited by Force

• 6 months later...

For super sport drag 64 fairlane super sport, in a sanctioned NHRA event:

1. black engine, correct?. 
  2. One or 2 exhaust pipes? exiting rear, not side?  Were these connected when running in NHRA events?
  3. seat belts?
  4. red oxide primer on bottom of chassis?
  5. Interior floor black?  was it a rubberized finish ? or just flat black?
  6. What are best matches for interior colors: siege (lite brown) and palomino (tan)

Black engine - one exhaust pipe out the rear, right rear I think, not hooked up basically a 6-cylinder exhaust- seat belts - red oxide primer probably better then assembly line since I think they were resprayed after all the chassis mods were done - good question on the floor, think it was industrial black with rubber floor mats to look somewhat like a street car - upholstery was champagne gold, really weird color with a greenish cast, might be available from Ford restorers. Maybe someone with access to a car or better reference with come up with more info.  

• 4 weeks later...

The post with the 2 interior shots looking in from the passenger door:

> Top picture looks to be a clone and not a real T-Bolt.

> The lower picture is the #90 car and authentic.  I used to work on this car all the time - several yrs actually and I have many pictures of it inside and underneath.

would it be possible to post some of your pictures?

Black engine - one exhaust pipe out the rear, right rear I think, not hooked up basically a 6-cylinder exhaust- seat belts - red oxide primer probably better then assembly line since I think they were resprayed after all the chassis mods were done - good question on the floor, think it was industrial black with rubber floor mats to look somewhat like a street car - upholstery was champagne gold, really weird color with a greenish cast, might be available from Ford restorers. Maybe someone with access to a car or better reference with come up with more info.  

Not relevant to the topic.

But I see your in Glendale AZ.

I will be in Glendale in about 10 days .  Wife has a seminar there for 2 days for work on  the 24-25th. 

We are staying across the street from University of Phoenix Stadium .  From Monday afternoon the 23rd  Then we fly back out EARLY Friday morning the 27th.

Any recommendations for eats or night life near there?  Not likely we'll venture to far ,,,,, Or spend a small fortune either. But we're open to ideas of most any kind.

( We'll actually get into town early Saturday morning on the 21st . But we're going to Tuscon the 21st thru late afternoon on the 23rd  visiting family. .  )