Model Cars Magazine Forum

1955 Crown Victoria Wire Wheels

I'm building a 1955 Crown Victoria for my mom - it was her first car.  I've got the AMT 1956 Crown Victoria, the 1955 resin body from Hendrix, a resin continental kit, and wide whitewall tires.  (Pics attached of all these).

What I need are 1955 wire wheels to go with it, as in this pic of a 1:1 55 Crown Victoria:

1955_CV_Wheels.thumb.jpg.29812e07c5895d9

--> Where can I get 1955 Crown Victoria 1/25 wire wheels like these?  I need a set of 5, since there's the continental kit.  A set of aftermarket wheels would be great, but also if there's a full kit out there that includes these wheels, that would b helpful too.

Whitewalls.jpeg

56_Fairlane_CrownVictoria_AMT_000.jpg

55 Ford Crown 1.jpg

resin continental kit.jpg

Your photo shows replicas of the '63 Ford Thunderbird Sports Roadster wheels (not covers). These wheels now seem ubiquitous on (over)restored late '50's and early '60's Ford products.

Your Mom sounds like a real hepcat for owning such a fancy Crown Vic!

I'll bet that she had these cool Ford accessory wheel covers:

56Ford8-vi.jpg

(I took this photo)

Unfortunately, The Modelhaus offered REALLY nice castings of these wheel covers.

John

Edited by john sharisky
photo credit

Thanks John.  

My mom loved the car - her father, my grandfather, got it for her for her 16th birthday.  I have no pictures of the original car from the 50's, so I don't know *exactly* the rims it had.  She doesn't remember a lot of these details about it, so it wouldn't be terrible.  My dad, who she was dating at the time, does remember that it had wire wheels, though, so that's why I'm looking for them.

If I could find something close to the original that would be great.  But the Thunderbird rims are pretty close.  

Does anyone have some old Modelhaus castings sitting around?  Or know who else might make the wheel covers John shows?

Also, what would these be called, so I can search on them?  "55 crown victoria wire wheels" is too vague.

Steven there  is a Franklin Mint Diecast of a 55 Crown Victoria but I just checked mine and it does not have wire rims. 

I picked this up for my Mom as a Birthday gift. She Passed before I gave it to her. I was waiting because she had a 55 Ford Mainline that she bought off a used car lot in 56. She loved that car a drove it till dad wrecked it. And let me tell you she never forget that fact. My poor father could never live that down. Anyway How is that Hendrix body? 

1930fordpickup - I started an "on the workbench" thread, with detailed pictures of the Hendrix body.  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/120956-55-crown-victoria/

This is the first time I'm working with resin.  Overall it is pretty good, but it requires much work.  Lots of flash, flaws to be sanded out, some bubbles to be filled in.  I've had to scribe the panel lines to even them out.  To get the windows to fit I've had do use a dremel to remove lots of thick resin.

It will turn out very nice.  Though rough to start, nothing is fatal.  I'd recommend it.

• 3 years later...

Hi.  New guy here and I realize this is a old post.

I just found a picture of my Dad and his 55 Ford Fairlane so of course I have to make a model of it.  Resin is OK, I have worked with it before on ship models.

I can't find a 55 Resin body for sale.  Does anyone know where I may could get one?

Thanks,

Art

• 2 weeks later...