Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Crown Victoria

sdbos777

This is the first build I've done using resin.  The goal is to recreate the white 1955 Crown Victoria that was my mom's first car.  Her dad, my grandfather, got it for her on her 16th birthday.  Swanky.  She loved the car and is very happy I'm building one for her.

Here is what I am using to do this build:

- AMT 1956 Crown Victoria

- Hendrix 1955 Crown Victoria set (resin)

- Continental kit from seller ronald6386 on eBay

- Aftermarket wide whitewalls by Pegasus, from HobbyLinc (1/24-1/25 1950s Style Wide Whitewall Tires Set (4) (Stevens))

- Wire wheels - either from AMT '62 Thunderbird kit, or more accurate ones if I can find them

Pics attached.

Hendrix Body.jpg

AMT kit.jpg

Hendrix 1.jpg

Hendrix Hood.jpg

Hendrix Dashboard.jpg

Hendrix interior.jpg

Whitewalls.jpeg

All Resin parts.jpg

55 crown victoria.png

Continental Kit 2.jpg

Continental kit 3.jpg

Continental Kit 4.jpg

Nice!

I may have to look into one of these Hendrix '55 kits.

I've always liked the '55 over the '56 & the skirts & correct rear fender trim for the Crown Victoria version are a plus.

How is the casting?

Steve

if it's anything like a '57 Fairlane I got from them, it's really bad. There is a odd texture all over, the trim is different from side to side, and there are spots where the resin is so thin you can see trough, while there are spots where it's so thick extensive sanding has to be done. Also, my body came ok, and warped after a few months. Still have it, but it's just too bad to use. It will be a lot easier to convert a AMT body into a Fairlane, than to fix the issues with the resin body. The '55 is a little more complicated, but can be done. Thank God I like the '56 better. Also bought a 1948 Ford tudor sedan conversion body from e-Bay, and it's rubbish. It looks like a styrene body that has being stripped about 10 times with lacquer thinner. I don't have the necessary skill on body work to convert a coupe into a tudor, but i'm thinking about trying. The second time I get a resin body that is bad. 

if it's anything like a '57 Fairlane I got from them, it's really bad. There is a odd texture all over, the trim is different from side to side, and there are spots where the resin is so thin you can see trough, while there are spots where it's so thick extensive sanding has to be done. Also, my body came ok, and warped after a few months. Still have it, but it's just too bad to use. It will be a lot easier to convert a AMT body into a Fairlane, than to fix the issues with the resin body. The '55 is a little more complicated, but can be done. Thank God I like the '56 better. Also bought a 1948 Ford tudor sedan conversion body from e-Bay, and it's rubbish. It looks like a styrene body that has being stripped about 10 times with lacquer thinner. I don't have the necessary skill on body work to convert a coupe into a tudor, but i'm thinking about trying. The second time I get a resin body that is bad. 

Thanks Tulio.

I have no experience with Hendrix kits, but from what I've heard, they're a little touch & go.

I've always had relatively good luck with Modelhaus kits in the past & the Jimmy Flintstone '61 Olds 88 kit that I picked up several months ago, is near perfect.

The casting is a little thick, but the body is straight as an arrow, & smooth as a babies butt!

I found one tiny pin hole in a rear fender, but other than that, not a single blemish anywhere.

I would not hesitate to purchase another Flintstone resin.

Steve

BigTallDad - do you have a link to where I could buy a proper battery?  When I search I get lots of links to actual batteries.

Sorry, I don't; make sure you include the word model in your search. There is a "Wanted" category on this forum and you might want to use it.

It also occurred to me that the 312 engine in the '56 would be incorrect for the '55, since the Thunderbird 312 was introduced in '56. I'm not familiar with your donor kit...if there are "Thunderbird" decals for the valve covers etc. I wouldn't use them.

The engine from the '56 AMT kit will be fine. Ford offered the 239 cu in Overhead Valve engine first in 1954. In 1955 Ford changed the bore and stroke around to offer a 272 cu in and a 292 cu in engine based on the original  239 engine. For 1956 they had the same offerings and late in the model year they offered a 312 cu in version. All three displacements were offered in 1957 and in 1958 with the new FE engines starting at 331 cu in they dropped the earlier Y Block engines except for the 292 cu in that was kept as the base V-8. From the outside the Ford Y Blocks all looked alike. A 6 volt battery can be found in many of the Revell offerings of '30's and 40's Fords.  

Edited by espo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The parking lights in the front grill were poorly molded, and one actually was so thinly molded it fell out when I tried to fix it.  I ended up drilling them out and creating my own.  I painted the grill with alclad chrome.  For the parking lights, I used a smaller tube of styrene inside a larger tube, creating a silver bezel and white center.  Then I put on a large dollop of Micro Kristal Klear and positioned them downward, so they'd drip and protrude as much as possible to create the bullet-shaped lenses.  It came out pretty good.  The first two shots below are some test runs, the last two are the final outcome.

Front Lights 1.jpg

Front Lights 2.jpg

Front Lights 3.jpg

Front Lights 4.jpg

These show the interior after correcting the interior trim.  I sanded off the two trim line's they'd molded in, which continued from the armrest to the base of the rear seat, and used sanded-down small tube styrene to create trim around the armrest.  The scratch marks in the white are don't show hardly at all in real life.  Photos accentuate every flaw, it seems.  I made the seat decals using GIMP and a white speckle pattern I found on the web, printed onto decal paper with my regular home inkjet.

Some nearly-done bits.jpg

Interior May 9.jpg