Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 MPC '79 Pontiac Firebird

Casey

So you built that Mike? That looks amazing. I built the original 1/25 scale version of the Anniversary Trans Am back in the 90`s. It was *very* difficult to get anything decent out of that kit because of part fitment, proportion issues, flash. etc. But that looks nearly perfect! The proportions look very close to the 1:1. 

If we get a gold bird like the one in the pic, I will be ecstatic. I will be building at least two if that is the case. If it comes with multiple color birds, my checkbook and schedule are in trouble.

So this is not under the new releases or anything. Is this available now?  

Sorry to bring up an old thread guys, but I saw this on the Round 2 webpage. It looks as though it is the trophy series Firebird or the Blackbird kit in gold with the anniversary hood and intake/carb`d intake engine. Thoughts?

MPC862-06-1979-Firebird.jpg

I'm glad you did bring this thread back up!!! I just got one of the older 10th anniversary editions earlier this week from a purchase on Facebook that I was planning on building as the 10th anniversary but is unfortunately missing more than the seller originally thought. I'm soooooo happy to see this will be coming out, because now I can not only build the 10th anniversary but use the other one to build my old Firebird Esprit from high school! 

570512-2_1979_Pontiac_Firebird_Esprit_2-  

Saw this on the MPC side of the ledger. Not the same, but, it is different! 

MPC858-06 1982 Firebird Packaging

I just recently bought this, and it is very nicely done for the age of the kit, and offers a few different building possibilities. The T-Tops have a separate T bar to install after removing the roof section and also includes a flat hood that is meant for the separate raised custom hood scoop, so a base model Firebird or non T-Top equipped Trans Am is completely possible. It also includes the wheels on the box art plus the KITT style disc wheels. 

So you built that Mike? That looks amazing. I built the original 1/25 scale version of the Anniversary Trans Am back in the 90`s. It was *very* difficult to get anything decent out of that kit because of part fitment, proportion issues, flash. etc. But that looks nearly perfect! The proportions look very close to the 1:1. 

If we get a gold bird like the one in the pic, I will be ecstatic. I will be building at least two if that is the case. If it comes with multiple color birds, my checkbook and schedule are in trouble.

So this is not under the new releases or anything. Is this available now?  

I don't think the production kits have landed yet, but they should be on shelves very soon.

This kit had a few minor glitches typical of MPC kits of the period (the door hinges in particular might require some tweaking/test-fitting) but the finished kit looks pretty good.

I have no idea what they're doing for decals, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the red/blue/gold hood birds like they included in the 1/25 kit.

Note-the glass is all clear.  If you notice the tinted T-tops, that was done with Tamiya smoke.  

210225920.jpg

210243576.jpg

oof, I cringe every time a car show calls those wheels "honeycomb"...

these wheels are the "snow flake" version that came after the actual honeycomb wheels

I bet this kit can be back dated to a '73 TA with a little nose/grille work and fab in a corrected tail light panel.

oof, I cringe every time a car show calls those wheels "honeycomb"...

these wheels are the "snow flake" version that came after the actual honeycomb wheels

I bet this kit can be back dated to a '73 TA with a little nose/grille work and fab in a corrected tail light panel.

,,, and the rear window ,, and the seats and door panels. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike! Nice work! That looks great!

As much as I'm excited by this well-deserved and long-delayed resurgence of Poncho's dominating pony car, I will admit I'm crushed it's not the turbo one.

You likely know why. :)

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/real-cars/1980-turbo-trans-am-faust/

I am hoping (against hope?) they'll one day soon release the Turbo version. one with a red bird would be fantastic. I would literally need a new pair of pants. 

I wish someone offered decals for these T/As. Keith Marks offers great 1:24 ones (that's how I built my 1974 SD-455). But 79-81s still exist in various scales, from 1:25 to 1:8. Converting this reissue in a 305ci 1980, or just repainting a 1:8 TTA with fresh decals would be just amazing.

• 3 weeks later...

Gack! Don't desecrate a T/A with a 305!!! That's heresy! 

Keep your Poncho ALL Poncho. if you're going to make it an '80, make it a 301 '80. 

Or, you know, lobby Round 2 to make the Trophy version again, with the Turbo 301. And this time do it with red bird decals. Because, you know, that's sexy as all get out! :)

On that note, I don't know if he still does, but I think someone told me J-Bot decals used to make decals for T/As. That's just word of mouth, mind you, but it's a possibility!

Hey Mike! Nice work! That looks great!

As much as I'm excited by this well-deserved and long-delayed resurgence of Poncho's dominating pony car, I will admit I'm crushed it's not the turbo one.

You likely know why. :)

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/real-cars/1980-turbo-trans-am-faust/

I am hoping (against hope?) they'll one day soon release the Turbo version. one with a red bird would be fantastic. I would literally need a new pair of pants. 

Mike I have to admit I do not know a lot about these cars but I can't imagine converting the engine to a turbo would be all the difficult.  A blower that is scale can likely be gotten aftermarket or made from scratch.  I'd guess the car was still carberated so no intercoller and minimal plumbing.  Plus being an American car there should be plenty of room in the engine bay.  Were there interior or body differences?  Looks like the hood maybe from the photos but easy enough to rework that.

The link to my car should tell you quite a bit about them, actually!

The biggest difference is the hood. Good luck replicating that simply. There are a lot of compound curves on it; trust me, I've waxed every inch of one enough times to know it intimately. Also, there's a couple of big differences. The Turbo T/A's blower isn't quite like others, and it doesn't have any blow off valves. It's all vacuum actuated wastegate that does the work. Also, the crossover pipe would be interesting to make correctly. The biggest difference, is that the intake is modified so that the air cleaner/carb is off to one side, under the bulge, not on centre like a normal 301. That would require some work, I think. 

Interior-wise, the Turbos all had the deluxe interior, I believe, and that means the fancy cloth. Not much else different, though. Technically, all Turbos are WS-6 cars too, so they'd need the bigger stabilizer bars, etc. However, that'd be hard to tell, even at 1/16. The Turbo Rims from the '79 pace are the standard Turbo wheels. you couldn't get Snowflakes on a Turbo, I don't believe. 

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. 

Maybe one of the 3-D print creators could endeavor to make some front ends and rear tail light/bumper panels so the 76 - 78 Trans Am version could be done using this model. Hmmm??? Interior options aside, having these parts would greatly increase the interest in this vehicle. How many of you modelers out there would pass the opportunity to have a Bandit Trans Am in 1/16th scale. Shame on Round 2 for not updating this model to include the iconic Bandit 77 Trans Am in 1/16th scale.

Maybe one of the 3-D print creators could endeavor to make some front ends and rear tail light/bumper panels so the 76 - 78 Trans Am version could be done using this model. Hmmm??? Interior options aside, having these parts would greatly increase the interest in this vehicle. How many of you modelers out there would pass the opportunity to have a Bandit Trans Am in 1/16th scale. Shame on Round 2 for not updating this model to include the iconic Bandit 77 Trans Am in 1/16th scale.

Gack. 

There are more than enough '77/'78s (Gen 2.3) out there. I don't really care for '76s either, but at least it's something different. I, personally, am ecstatic to see the Gen 2.4 birds getting more love again. They were heavily kitted back in the day, but then fell out of favour and it seems like for ages all you could get were Gen 2.3s. I've had enough of them to last a lifetime! I would be crushed and, quite honestly angry, if they'd reworked the beautiful Gen 2.4 into the Gen 2.3, knowing they had the moulds to do the Gen 2.4 the whole time!

I say Kudos to Round 2, and Bring on the Trophy Turbo Bird!

Gack. 

There are more than enough '77/'78s (Gen 2.3) out there.

It's hard to argue the '77-'78 Trans Am isn't the most widely recognized of the bunch, and borderline iconic for those in the 35+ age group, so I don't think it's a stretch to feel a '77 T/A SE would sell far better than any '79-'81.

It's too bad MPC was the company to create a 1/16 T/A. I just can't get past the heavy granular texture of the floorpans and the "looks kind close" to the real thing details found throughout this kit. Hopefully the snowflake wheels came out nicely, as some previous reissues I've seen contained some very unclean molding and plating. :(

Edited by Casey

It's hard to argue the '77-'78 Trans Am isn't the most widely recognized of the bunch, and borderline iconic for those in the 35+ age group, so I don't think it's a stretch to feel a '77 T/A SE would sell far better than any '79-'81.

It's too bad MPC was the company to create a 1/16 T/A. I just can't get past the heavy granular texture of the floorpans and the "looks kind close" to the real thing details found throughout this kit. Hopefully the snowflake wheels came out nicely, as some previous reissues I've seen contained some very unclean molding and plating. :(

Oh, I wouldn't argue that at all. People constantly say "Smokey and the Bandit!!" when they see my Turbo '80; it's just what is associated with that big hoodbird! :) I just don't think we need another '77/78 until we get more balance out there. 

I've never seen the big MPC, but I do like their small kits just fine. However, I do know that the small MPC '79 is kinda poor on detail compared to other kits they make, which is an eternal disappointment!

Anyone know where I could score the gold decals.... love to build a copy of My old T/A...  Need to find some 1/16 GTA wheels too

The forthcoming kit will include the gold screaming chicken hood decal, and the GTA cross-lace wheels can be sourced from the Revell 1/16 '87 Firebrd GTA kit.